CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Report

bartonmd

Hey just thought I would report - For those who that don't think lubing a chain is important, attached are photos of my DID ZVM2 after 27,000 miles next to my new DID ZVM2 to show the stretch. The old one was lubed every 200 miles with the Honda blue can chain lube. Also, check out the wear (or lack there of) on the pin.The chain was not loose and not kinking, but having so many miles on it, I thought it would be better to replace it now rather than risk an engine case. Hell, the pin on the stock chain looked worse at 23,000 miles!

Mike

post-991-1188825327.jpg

post-991-1188825702.jpg

Thanks. Wish you could line up the 2 chains (at the link pin) to show where

the difference is. Can't really tell where the difference was from the pic.

I have a DID ZVM2 that I'm about to install, while waiting

for the current one to go bad. The current one is

DID and has 22000 miles on it. Me too I lubed every 200-300 miles

and the current one still looks good.

Yes, you can... I hadn't cut the extra of yet, but the opposite ends are lined up, and they are not a full link different. It lines up to the link that's right next to it. I stretched them out on the ground, and made sure they were flat. The old one is stretched something like 3/16" total.

Mike

I put a new DID ZVM2 and sprockets on this spring. I've so far put about 22,000Km on the chain and only tightened it twice. It's been 14,000km since the last time I've tightened it. I was running mostly highway miles with a pro-oiler, the chain has barely stretched at all. The last chain I had was a top of the line RK that pissed me off to no end, I had to adjust it every 3-500km...UGH...

Yes, you can... I hadn't cut the extra of yet, but the opposite ends are lined up, and they are not a full link different. It lines up to the link that's right next to it. I stretched them out on the ground, and made sure they were flat. The old one is stretched something like 3/16" total.

Mike

I think I see what you were saying. The links that lined up weren't show in the picture, right?

If yes, then I can see your point. The one on the left was definitely longer.

Thanks for the pics. I think I need to replace mine now, even though it 'only' has 22k miles :-)

By the way, what size sprockets are you running with the new chain? The stock is 17/45 and I got

myself a set of 18/45 and a 112-link DVD ZVM2 chain. If you run 18/45, how many links of chain you use?

I ordered 110-link but it came package as a set together with 2 sprockets and 112 links. I may have to cut off 2 links myself.

Mike

I think I see what you were saying. The links that lined up weren't show in the picture, right?

If yes, then I can see your point. The one on the left was definitely longer.

Thanks for the pics. I think I need to replace mine now, even though it 'only' has 22k miles :-)

By the way, what size sprockets are you running with the new chain? The stock is 17/45 and I got

myself a set of 18/45 and a 112-link DVD ZVM2 chain. If you run 18/45, how many links of chain you use?

I ordered 110-link but it came package as a set together with 2 sprockets and 112 links. I may have to cut off 2 links myself.

Never ran a 18, but others have said it is still 110.

Yes, I also meant to say that it was an 110 link chain running 18/45 sprockets. The rear sprocket was the original (second chain on it), and the front was just used with this chain. Also, that chain had never been cleaned the whole time it was on!

Yes, Testrider, the links not in the picture were lined up. I took the picture like I did to show the ones that were not lined up, up close, so you could see how far they were off at the end of 110 links on one side, and 120 on the other...

Mike