CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mounting a Garmin GPS

Stinger_916

Has anyone here mounted a Garmin Nuvi 200 to the Bird? If you have what kind of mounting system did you use? Also how did you get power to the unit?

I was thinking about using a universal mount from Cycle Gadgets with the generic bolt on ram mount & installing a cigarette lighter style power source near the unit. Any opnions???

I have one that I switch back and forth between my bike and my car, and I went barebones. I have a camera mount on my tank, so I piggyback off of it for the GPS. I have a strong metal bracket that I have modified and added an old cell phone cradle bracket (like you would screw to your dash in the old days) and use that to mount the GPS bracket to. I also have the same cell phone bracket in my car, so all I have to do is unscrew the mount where it swivels and switch it back and forth between the bike and car. I can still run the camera on the bike as well with this setup as the GPS sits to the side. It's low and out of the way of all controls and doesn't block any gauges. The fuel filler is still fully functional also.

As far as power goes, I have a cigarette lighter splitter (makes one cigarette lighter into two) that I have hardwired under the seat. I run the factory cig cord from that, under the edge of the gas tank, and out up by the truple tree up to the GPS. It literally takes me about 2 minutes to move the GPS from the car to the bike doing this. Any excess cable is left under the seat, and since the connections are all under the seat, they don't get wet.