CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX power draw limits?

Motobeagle

I'm planning on hooking up my Widder vest, arm chaps, and gloves this week.

I am also hooking up my GPS, and a future outlet for a radar detector. Is this too much? I have no idea what the generator output is, but I know the Beemer guys far exceed theirs on a regular basis.

Who has what? Any problems? Recommendations? Thanks. J

I'm planning on hooking up my Widder vest, arm chaps, and gloves this week.

I am also hooking up my GPS, and a future outlet for a radar detector. Is this too much? I have no idea what the generator output is, but I know the Beemer guys far exceed theirs on a regular basis.  

Who has what? Any problems? Recommendations? Thanks. J

http://www.superblackbird.com/cbox.cfm

This should give you some idea of how to manage the available output. The GPS and radar detector use almost 0 power so those should not be an issue.

Newer BMWs have nearly twice the alternator output as a XX so there's little possibility of exceeding their output even with full electric gear and extra lights.

Jer-

find a way to integrate a voltmeter into your bike. If you're lucky (or cheap) like me, you'll have a garmin GPS III+ which has one built in. Regardless, they can be picked up inexpensively these days. Monitoring your system voltage takes the guesswork out of it....as long as your running voltage stays above 13 volts, you're definitely in surplus.

I rode back from Towanda with heated grips and vest on. (about 70 watts additional) Voltage would dip into the low 12's during idling (deficit) then would climb back to ~14V during normal rpms.

Craig

p.s. enjoyed the trip pictures. You DINKs have all the fun.

Thanks guy's.

Joe,is the rheostat on the widder any different than the on/ off switch that I have?

Craig, I think I remember reading something about a meter on my GPS V, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the tip. It is good to be a DINK. :wink: