CBR1100XX.org Forum

Nuetral between 2nd & 3rd ?

CxBXR

I was under hard acceleration (on a long dark straight road) when shifting from 2nd to 3rd & almost at redline when I found a "nuetral" no gear to be found. Any specific reason this might happen ? Just a fluke ?

I was under hard acceleration (on a long dark straight road) when shifting from 2nd to 3rd & almost at redline when I found a "nuetral" no gear to be found. Any specific reason this might happen ? Just a fluke ?

I've never experienced any false neutral on the bird. Perhaps you just missed gearing into 3rd a little at near full rpm. I wouldn't worry as long as the transmission is normal otherwise.

My Suzuki has the same phenomena, since new, and it can easily be avoided if using the right technique; put in the next gear like you mean it.

Technique #1 is to slightly preload the lever in anticpation of the shift then either fan the clutch lever or quickly off and on the throttle and it will shift like buttah.

Technique #2 which should be combined with #1, always follow trhough on the shift. In other words, maintain upward pressure on the shift lever until the shift is complete.

A fast shift does not have to be a fast release, keep that toe under the lever and keep pushing up. Unless you have a turbo running lots of boost, there are going to be a good couple of seconds in third before you need to shift into fourth, just ease off the lever and then repeat for the next shift.

My XX will miss 2 gear when shifting from 1 to 2 but as soon as I change the oil it stops doing it.

Now when I say it missed I mean it went in and popped right back out.

probably not the same thing.

Just install a factory evo star shift kit in the bird. Takes about an hour to do, makes a HUGE difference in shifting. Lovin it. Oh and I can get them cheap!

Just install a factory evo star shift kit in the bird. Takes about an hour to do, makes a HUGE difference in shifting. Lovin it. Oh and I can get them cheap!

Farkle,,, cool,,,gimme! Well, Errr I will be glad to try one out and EERRRR O hell tell me more, cause I don't have enough stuff.

I like cheap.

Me too I'd like to hear more about what is involved. I haven't had any false neutrals but each day I ride as if it is my last. :icon_twisted: A little extra insurance is alweays a good thing especially if it's cheap.

Me too I'd like to hear more about what is involved. I haven't had any false neutrals but each day I ride as if it is my last. :icon_twisted: A little extra insurance is alweays a good thing especially if it's cheap.

Check out www.factorypro.com they sell star shift kit for the blackbird. I installed mine about a year ago. Took maybe an hour as you have to pull the clutch basket. Other than that its all good. Much more positive shifting. I install thier shift kit in all my bikes though some models only have a standard shift kit (stiffer spring) or a pro shift kit (stiffer spring with micro bearing detent arm) or the star pro shift kit (stiffer spring, microbearing detent arm and the new designed detent star)

Check out www.factorypro.com they sell star shift kit for the blackbird. I installed mine about a year ago. Took maybe an hour as you have to pull the clutch basket. Other than that its all good. Much more positive shifting. I install thier shift kit in all my bikes though some models only have a standard shift kit (stiffer spring) or a pro shift kit (stiffer spring with micro bearing detent arm) or the star pro shift kit (stiffer spring, microbearing detent arm and the new designed detent star)

Will the star shift kit eliminate the annoying 1st to 2nd clonk ?

Is more foot pressure for shifting required when the kit is installed ?

Will the star shift kit eliminate the annoying 1st to 2nd clonk ?

Is more foot pressure for shifting required when the kit is installed ?

I dont think more foot pressure is required. Usually if you pussy foot shifting you find a kick back or false nuetral but with this kit even pussy footing it finds the next gear smooth as butter. I dont know about the anooying 1st to second clunk only bikes I ever really noticed that on was kawasuckies