CBR1100XX.org Forum

clutchless shifting

Loosenuts

It is quite easy to perform clutchless upshiftings on higher gears and the gearbox will not be damaged if done correctly. It is just to back of the throttle to unload the gears and put in the next higher gear. I do it now and then when I'm lazy but not when going WOT on the bird.

To do clutchless shiftings at WOT there has to be an arrangement that kills the ingition or fuel supply for 100 ms or so. Such gadgets are sold by e.g Powercommander as an accessory to the PC III unit, the so called Quick Shifter.

I have that stuff on the GSX R and it is quite nice to use it. Manual clutch shift is never wrong though and will probably spare the gearbox even vs. special arrangements as the PC stuff.

I've heard allot about, haven't tried it, just looking for some info on it?

I've wondered about clutchless shifting as well. As R1000 noted it's very easy to do, especially when upshifting. I've done it downshifting as well. It doesn't seem to harm anything, but I always use the clutch anyway. The only benefit seems to be avoiding a lever pull, the risk is transmission wear. So to me it is an asymmetric equation, the reward doesn't equal the risk.

Maybe it prolongs clutch life too? Hmm...

I do it all the time from 3rd gear on up if done correctly will not harm anything. I just apply light pressure to the shifter and back off the throttle and it slips right into the nexxt gear. Don't force it though then you can do some damage.

I try to use the clutch when going from 1st to 2nd (bigger gap), but after that it's pretty much always clutchless, nowadays.

Just preload the shift lever with your toe, let off the throttle slightly, and snick it into the next gear.

I use the same technique on a regular basis to downshift. 60k miles... so far, no problems. The key is to "Shift with authority" and make a point of stomping on the shift lever pretty hard.

The key is to "Shift with authority" and make a point of stomping on the shift lever pretty hard.

Ouch. I agree with "shift like you mean it," but would expect stomping on the shift lever won't get you much but worn seals and bent shift forks.

Generally, putting a couple pounds of pressure on the shifter and then quickly rolling the throttle off and back on (about 1/4 inch rotation) seems to do the trick. When downshifting, get your revs down with the wheel pushing the engine, and do the opposite, blipping the throttle just a wee bit to unload the gear dogs so they can move without undue force.

Ok, Just a little background. Most know I ain't scared, to tear into anything by now and I think I know a lot. And as such, end up trying to figure out what it is that is wrong with things that go wrong. Rather than change parts, cause I am poor....

Had, a 400ex that a close friend of my son raced that had a problem no body could figure out. It would pull like crazy in first, big bore, cam, high compression, port job, etc.

But, in second it was like the clutch was slipping, as well as third, All the other gears were fine. They had already changed the clutch and springs. No change. Tore the motor down and inspected everything and looked good everywhere.

I had the boys tear it down so I could look at everthing and it did look normal but supected the dogs were wore. I could not tell but they seamed to be angled, I took the die grinder to them and made them angle in to the gear.

Fixed it. Still runnng and racing.

When you don't match the rpm with the next gear either up or down, this will happen!

The key is to "Shift with authority" and make a point of stomping on the shift lever pretty hard.

Ouch. I agree with "shift like you mean it," but would expect stomping on the shift lever won't get you much but worn seals and bent shift forks.

Generally, putting a couple pounds of pressure on the shifter and then quickly rolling the throttle off and back on (about 1/4 inch rotation) seems to do the trick. When downshifting, get your revs down with the wheel pushing the engine, and do the opposite, blipping the throttle just a wee bit to unload the gear dogs so they can move without undue force.

Correct... Didn't mean it to sound so violent. In my experience, downshifting takes a bit more pressure than upshifting, and when doing it, you don't want to be a wuss about it was all I was trying to say.

As usual, you were much more eloquent.

Did not as I suspect, you know, mean to take anything away fom what any said. I almost never, except on a new tranny, use the clutch except to take off and stop.

I've heard allot about, haven't tried it, just looking for some info on it?

Sport Rider had an article on clutchless shifting a couple of years back. They described what most of you have said, above, about upshifting...

Put your boot under the shiter and give it about 1/3 pressure of a normal shift. As you abruptly roll off the throttle a bit, it will shift into the next higher gear. And, it does... as most of you have posted. They said you will not hurt anything by upshifting in this manner.

HOWEVER... they where vehement in their recommendation to ALWAYS use the clutch for downshifting. They said that downshifting without your clutch will break things inside the tranny (don't remember which things specifically).

The only time I do clutchless shifting is when I am doing a wheelie & shifting with the front wheel off the ground, Otherwise I would not recomend it like stan mentioned bad thing's can happen if not done right & carfully - dont take it out on you transmission just because you are too lazy to pull in the clutch lever.

Just another opinion, hope no one's affended.

The only time I do clutchless shifting is when I am doing a wheelie & shifting with the front wheel off the ground, Otherwise I would not recomend it like stan mentioned bad thing's can happen if not done right & carfully - dont take it out on you transmission just because you are too lazy to pull in the clutch lever.

Just another opinion, hope no one's affended.

No offense taken, but at the rider class for a track day they recommend clutchless shifting.

Clutchless shifting, done right, will upset your suspension the least and overall make you smoother.

In talking to fast riders, smooth=fast. With practice(not much mind you) it becomes second nature & very smooth.

Down shifting is smoothest for me with a small clutching. It's surprising to me how little clutch is needed to downshift smooth.

I say give it a try it is easy and with a little practice fast and smooth.

P.S. I also do it on my Harley. It is clunky at low RPM but with mildly aggressive acceleration it is smooth.