CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help, Vibration in Left Footpeg

DrDemento

I have a vibration problem that I have been trying to find for the last couple of weeks.

It is mostly felt in the left footpeg, really noticed between 35 and 55 MPH. Its a even, constant, THUMP THUMP THUMP, kinda reminds me of old bias ply tires when they are cold. You only notice it when running along under very little load, not while accelerating or de-accelerating, If you pull in the clutch and coast, you also don't feel it.

Since it is felt on the left side, first thing I thought of was a tight link in the chain, so it was gone over and cleaned and lubed, checking closely for a frozen link somewhere. None was found, and the chain is well within the green for adjustment. I have run the chain on the loose side, as well as a little over tight, the vibration problem seems the same. Front and rear sprockets also look fine.

I also thought that maybe the chain was hitting the center stand, as I have D&D slipons, and thought it might be riding higher than stock. This still hasn't fixed the problem.

I'm asking for help, as I have run out of ideas, short of spending $200 + for new chain and sprockets that I don't think is really needed.

Thanks in advance...

More info...

what year?

how many miles?

tire condition?

the only thing that comes to mind is carb synchronizing (sp)

carbs out of sync can cause vibes.

I am not sure but I thought I read something about throttle bodies being synchronized

Just a few things come to mind, do you still have the stock drive sprocket installed? I recently installed an aftermarket drive sprocket that does not have the rubber around the outside like the stock one does. That just might cause a vibration. Or maybe something stuck in the tire?

Sounds very much like a chain. Get yourself on a downhill going 50-60 mph, pull in the clutch and kill the engine. Open your visor and don't wear earplugs. You should be able to feel and hear it pretty regularly. As your speed decreases, you might even be able to hear the minute change in speed as a change in the tone of the tire on the pavement when the tight link crosses the drive sprocket.

Here's a little more information....

I just started to notice the problem the last couple of weeks. The bike is a 2000, with 33,000 miles. The tires are almost new, Dunlop 220, with less than 3,000 miles on them, never patched or plugged. I'm pretty sure the chain has been replaced, it is a DID 50VA, and has a riveted master link ( I believe that I have read that the original chain is a continues chain without a master link).

I have taken the bike up to 50-60 mph, pulled in the clutch and coast I don't get the vibration. I also don't feel the vibration when accelerating or de-accelerating, just seems to really show up when the engine is under very little load.

As far as I can tell, it had the stock front and rear sprockets, I checked that when I removed the front sprocket cover to clean and be sure that there wasn't something stuck in there, causing the problem.

I'm starting to think that it's just due for a new chain and sprockets, was wanting to eliminate everything else first.

Thanks, feel free to suggest anything else.

Quite possibly totally not related.. but worth mentioning:

There is an exhaust mount in each of the foot pegs. It's probably worth making sure that the rubber grommet that holds the exhaust isn't causing undo engine vibration.

Quite possibly totally not related.. but worth mentioning:

There is an exhaust mount in each of the foot pegs. It's probably worth making sure that the rubber grommet that holds the exhaust isn't causing undo engine vibration.

Thanks, I will check that as well.

Today, after checking my chain tension once again, I rotated the rear wheel to check that the tension was the same over the entire length of the chain. I did find about a 6 inch section of chain that is noticeably tighter than the rest. Doesn't seem to have any of the links seized, but they defiantly don't have as much flex as the rest of the chain. Looks like I may have to order a new chain and sprockets after all.

I have a vibration problem that I have been trying to find for the last couple of weeks.

It is mostly felt in the left footpeg, really noticed between 35 and 55 MPH. Its a even, constant, THUMP THUMP THUMP, kinda reminds me of old bias ply tires when they are cold. You only notice it when running along under very little load, not while accelerating or de-accelerating, If you pull in the clutch and coast, you also don't feel it.

Since it is felt on the left side, first thing I thought of was a tight link in the chain, so it was gone over and cleaned and lubed, checking closely for a frozen link somewhere. None was found, and the chain is well within the green for adjustment. I have run the chain on the loose side, as well as a little over tight, the vibration problem seems the same. Front and rear sprockets also look fine.

I also thought that maybe the chain was hitting the center stand, as I have D&D slipons, and thought it might be riding higher than stock. This still hasn't fixed the problem.

I'm asking for help, as I have run out of ideas, short of spending $200 + for new chain and sprockets that I don't think is really needed.

Thanks in advance...

I have an FJ1200 that had an unusual problem. I had changed the chain with an aftermarket one and bought the OEM sprockets. The chain was toast within 6000 miles!! Turns out the OEM sprocket has those hard rubber cushions on the side. They keep chain noise down and help pass noise emissions. The problem is you can`t use the OEM sprocket with a chain that has straight sided links!! You need the "peanut " shaped links. The straight sides of the link hit the rubber and tries to lift the chain out of the sprocket groove.

Also, I`ve seen rear sprockets come from the factory that have been machined slightly off center causing a tight-loose-tight-loose scenario.

Hope this helps.