CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fueling issue...

Squareman357

Ok, so my buddy Riceburner (Derick) is having a fueling issue with his 99 XX. He'll start it and it will run rough, as though it's missing, and if he attempts to give it a bit of gas, it stumbles. Sometimes it will "correct" itself and run strong and hard. He's also had this happen while riding, about 60 mph, revs up around 5K, and suddenly it's stumbling like it's running out of gas or missing on a cylinder. Thinking it might be the Power Commander, he removed that from the system and it's still doing it. His FI light is also on while it's doing this. The bike is stock except for a K&N filter and Micron slip ons. I thought it might be plugs, as he is unsure (bought used) as to whether the original plugs are still in there. He has about 45K on the ODO. He plans on putting in a stock air filter and replacing or checking the plugs first, but do you guys have any other ideas what it could possibly be?

Its not plugs, and its not air filter. It sounds like there is a low fuel volume or pressure condition.

I'd read the FI light first...its there for a reason. The stumble, miss, and increased rpm may all be to an intermittant short/disconnection in the fuel pump electrics or any of a myriad of others. First step, get the codes off the ECU. The gauges ain't jumpin' around, are they? Low voltage does wonders....

And while you are checking all of the above recommendations, you might as well ask him if the wiring harness loom problem has been fixed yet. That could be the source of everything.

He rode up to Chicago and we did the wiring harness loom thing last year. It's sealed tight and good to go. I don't think the gauges are jumping around, but I will call him and ask him about that one. In the mean time how do we get the codes off the ECU for the FI light?

Ok...seeing as though he's on a budget, how can I eliminate any one of these theories without necessarily buying parts? How much is a fuel pressure regulator? Still waiting on Joe to tell me how to get the ECU codes for the FI issue. This all sounds promising though...hopefully it's one of these things mentioned so far.

<sigh>

Seat off, short the service connector at the rear of the bike with a jumper. Its a small flat connector with three square holes in a row...jumper the outer two. Then turn the ignition on, and watch the light...it should blink 1.3 seconds on to indicate 10, .5 seconds on for each single digit.

Example....one 1.3 second blinks followed by four .5 second blinks = 14....#3 injector. Once it blinks out a number, it will begin on the next one until all are displayed.

After that you have to download the manual to see what the code is. :icon_whistle:

<sigh>

Seat off, short the service connector at the rear of the bike with a jumper. Its a small flat connector with three square holes in a row...jumper the outer two. Then turn the ignition on, and watch the light...it should blink 1.3 seconds on to indicate 10, .5 seconds on for each single digit.

Example....one 1.3 second blinks followed by four .5 second blinks = 14....#3 injector. Once it blinks out a number, it will begin on the next one until all are displayed.

After that you have to download the manual to see what the code is. :icon_whistle:

LOL! Don't sigh at me! :icon_twisted: I have the manual, but couldn't find the function to get the ECU codes with a search. Sometimes it IS hard to find shit in here with half a million posts. We'll try that and see what we get.

Ok...seeing as though he's on a budget, how can I eliminate any one of these theories without necessarily buying parts? How much is a fuel pressure regulator? Still waiting on Joe to tell me how to get the ECU codes for the FI issue. This all sounds promising though...hopefully it's one of these things mentioned so far.

You can also check codes by putting the sidestand down but only when the FI light is on.

Example: If he's riding and the FI light comes on, pull over, put bike in neutral with engine running and put sidestand down. FI light will start flashing the code just like Joe described.