CBR1100XX.org Forum

To change or not to change that is the question

rcskisfast

Planning on leaving for sturgis fri. morning checked thread depth on my pilot roads and there is 1/32 of rubber left before the wear bars. I got 6500 mi on the original bridgestones and the odometer is at 12,718. Sturgis is 1000 mi round trip, weather forecast is Hot and dry for the weekend. I think I have enough rubber left to make the trip. Do you think i'm making a mistake? :icon_evilgrin: Thanks, Ron

You'd be better off changing it or plan on having it changed along the route.

Hot pavement, long stretches of slabbing it will wear what you have real fast.

I doubt you get a thousand out of it.

When I took an 800 mile round trip a few months ago, I had ~1/8" from the wear bars on my rear Z6. I thought I'd be okay. But when I got there and checked the tire, I knew that there was no way I'd make it home on it. I ended up wasting a Saturday shopping for a new tire and someone to mount it. Better to change it beforehand if you have time.

Since the tires on the bike are still serviceable, change them and keep as a spare set. I changed my last tires a little early, so now I have a spare (but used) set in case I pick up a nail or something while commuting.

Since the tires on the bike are still serviceable, change them and keep as a spare set. I changed my last tires a little early, so now I have a spare (but used) set in case I pick up a nail or something while commuting.

I did the same thing with the same reasoning. Glad I did too-- my GF bought a bike from a friend in NY and rode it back, but the rear tire got trashed. Shipped my 'spare' up and got it changed it out with relatively little delay and expense.

Bun