CBR1100XX.org Forum

Drive chain replacement

Ludov

Hello everybody.

I bought my bird without the owner's manual and so, I have some doubts about the drive chain replacement:

- The swingarm has a mark to help us in the adjustment of the drive chain, and I thought that that same mark should be used as a reference in order to tell us if it should be replaced or not. But the service manual that I've downloaded says that: «If the red zone of the indicator label reaches the end of the swingarm, replace the drive chain with a new one.»

- So, when should we consider that the drive chain must be replaced: when the red label reaches the mark or when the red label reaches the end of the swingarm?

Thank you in advance.

Ludov.

Portugal

Ludov...

You should replace your chain when it is worn out. The marks on your swingarm are only a guide, and only a poor substitute for a good mechanic.

The following is thieved from "Dan's Motorcycle." Its old advice, but chains are old technology.

"You can tell if the chain is worn by pushing up on the chain in the middle (between the sprockets) with one hand, while pulling on the chain at the rear sprocket. If you can pull the chain out from the sprocket much at all, say 1/4" or more, the chain is worn out. Another way is to measure the total length of the chain, when new, and replace it when it has lengthened by 2 1/2 %. You will also find that a worn chain is hard to adjust because some spots will be tight and others loose."

Put the bike on the centerstand. Turn the rear wheel....are there crunching or tinkling noises? Is the effort to turn the wheel inconsistant? Does the chain jerk or snap, or does it run smooth and quietly? At the very back of the chain, as Dan describes above, pull the chain away from the sprocket. If you can pull the chain halfway off the teeth, the chain needs to be replaced. If it does any of the above, except for smooth and quiet, it needs to be replaced.

There's a lot more to it, but that's a basic guide. Do not rely only on the swingarm wear indicators. And I suggest you replace the front sprocket with the chain...the rear will last much longer unless you run with a worn out chain for a long time.

Hope this helps.

That's sage advice from Joe.

You can certainly replace the chain and front sprocket yourself EASILY.

I have 10 extremely fat fingers and am about as mechanically inclined as a bowling ball, yet I can do most maintenance myself. Do a good search here in the Garage, print out the advice you read, TAKE YOUR TIME, and save lots of money for gas and NeXXT and other XX riding endeavours.

Ludov.

Portugal

That's gonna take a lot of gas to get to NeXXT, Griff!

Oh

but I did say he would be saving a LOT of money!!!