CBR1100XX.org Forum

Charging problems solved

h2o player

I have been dealing with the typical Black Bird charging woes. I swapped batteries, put in an new regulator and finaly swapped out the stator (at the advise of a local stealer) Still had problems. Any time the outside temp was over 70 deg the bike did not charge well. I had to keep the bike on a charger every night.

I called electro sport and talked with Eric. He was well aware of the Black Bird charging problems. He admits that even their replacment regulator is a direct copy of the factory regulator and has the same problems.

Eric custom built me a new regulator good for 500 watts! It is twice the size of the stock regulator but still bolts into the factory location using the factory holes. All I had to do was change out the stock bolts with something about 5mm longer. It is really tight on the clearace of the tail body but it does fit.

post-2398-1185832458.jpg

post-2398-1185832473.jpg

Eric says to give him a call if you are interested in one of the modified regulators.

Eric Hesterman

Research and Development

ElectroSport Industries

3803 Oceanic Dr. Ste 201

Oceanside, CA 92056

PH: +1 (760) 842-8300

FX: +1 (760) 842-8306

mailto:ehesterman@electrosport.com

www.electrosport.com

I've been lucky so far.

Was the regulator you put in first a 01 and later? New?

Any farkles that draw lots of power?

Nice to see a 500 watt regulator, now if we could get a stator to go with it.

I think Warchild tried a aftermarket, but with limited success.

I've been lucky so far.

Was the regulator you put in first a 01 and later? New?

Any farkles that draw lots of power?

Nice to see a 500 watt regulator, now if we could get a stator to go with it.

I think Warchild tried a aftermarket, but with limited success.

97-98 regulator, my bike is a 98.

The regulator is overkill for the need but it is better than the alternative.

I upgraded the lights when I baught the bike.

What was the cost of the custom regulator???

You will have to check with Eric. He provided to me at no cost. I had baught my first regulator from them. Eric just steped up, never even asked for money.

WOW, I never thought to contact electrosport. I have one of their aftermarket R/R's and it stopped charging after about a month. I switched to a Yamaha R/R and a adapter plug from bartonmd (Mike). So far so good, but I would like a little more voltage so I may get the newer stator that puts out more(I have a 97). I maybe overdrawing, since I changed out the stock 55W head lights for some 100W bulbs from JAWS. When I have my hi-beem on now my voltage drops to 13.3 from 13.8/13.9.

WOW, I never thought to contact electrosport. I have one of their aftermarket R/R's and it stopped charging after about a month. I switched to a Yamaha R/R and a adapter plug from bartonmd (Mike). So far so good, but I would like a little more voltage so I may get the newer stator that puts out more(I have a 97). I maybe overdrawing, since I changed out the stock 55W head lights for some 100W bulbs from JAWS. When I have my hi-beem on now my voltage drops to 13.3 from 13.8/13.9.

I have just bought one from Electrosport..ESR580. cost $99.00. It has a one year warrenty. I hope it lasts longer than a month..

Seems to be ok at the moment.

I went to Electrosport to pick it up..I didnt meet Eric unfortunately..

Bonny

I checked the voltage with high beams on 50 mile trip. 13.78 @ 2500 rpm, 13.9 @ 4000+ rpm. Sits between 13.97 and 14.1 with high beams off. We have had warm temps this week and I put on over 600 miles with out having to put it on the charger. It sure is much more enjoyable when your not worried about the bike cutting out!