CBR1100XX.org Forum

Buell peg upgrade

therealshake

i followed the instructions on this forum and did the buell peg upgrade. i liked the idea of this upgrade because i did not have to modify the bird and i could easily go back to stock.

the right side peg went on easily but i couldnt lower the brake pedal enough for normal operation w/o trimming the adjustment screw (not an easy task).

i installed the left peg and it interferred w/ the kickstand. if i lowered the shifter then everytime i shifted i hit the kickstand. i reinstalled the stock pegs.

can i assume that with any of the "peg lowering" options on this forum i will run into the same problems?

thanks... therealshake

Yes, you can assume that.

You do need to remove the top nut from the threaded rod portion and cut the rod shorter.

On the kickstand side, I cut off the arm that you use to snag the stand with your foot. That was the piece that interfered with my foot and shifting. I also did the 6mm shim to the rear shock, so while the stand was off I heated it up and straightened it to make the bike sit more upright. Lower the shift lever 1 groove down....works perfectly. You can still easily put the side stand down using your foot on the bottom foot portion of the stand.

Hope that helps

Yes, you can assume that.

You do need to remove the top nut from the threaded rod portion and cut the rod shorter.

On the kickstand side, I cut off the arm that you use to snag the stand with your foot. That was the piece that interfered with my foot and shifting. I also did the 6mm shim to the rear shock, so while the stand was off I heated it up and straightened it to make the bike sit more upright. Lower the shift lever 1 groove down....works perfectly. You can still easily put the side stand down using your foot on the bottom foot portion of the stand.

Hope that helps

i noticed that davesxx01 was selling a peg lower mod. does it have the same issues as the buell mod?

i couldnt lower the brake pedal enough for normal operation w/o trimming the adjustment screw (not an easy task).

i installed the left peg and it interferred w/ the kickstand. if i lowered the shifter then everytime i shifted i hit the kickstand. i reinstalled the stock pegs.

can i assume that with any of the "peg lowering" options on this forum i will run into the same problems?

thanks... therealshake

A Dremmel tool is a great addition to your toolbox, between the Buell pegs and Heli bars I needed one. It gets into small spaces. :icon_biggrin:

i noticed that davesxx01 was selling a peg lower mod. does it have the same issues as the buell mod?

Yes I have done Dave's lowering blocks and had to mod the adjusting rod on the brake ( fairly easy) and I dropped the shifter down one notch.

With the stand what I did was drill a hole in the back at the top where it contacts the stop in an up position and installed a screw to lower the stand down slightly while at rest and then I put a couple of washers under the front of the stand on the front mounting bolt to pivot the stand in towards the frame to alleviate it touching down on hard cornering :icon_surprised:

When I get around to it I will make up a "wedge" of aluminium to replace the washers :icon_think:

The first two pics show the round head screw I put in as a "stop" and the other shows the shortened adjuster screw :icon_wink: BTW These pics were before the washers to pivot the stand towards the frame :icon_surprised:

post-2722-1185717889.jpg

post-2722-1185717927.jpg

post-2722-1185717963.jpg

By the way, when you lower the brake pedal, your brake light will be on all the time. You will need to adjust the switch also. I found the easiest thing was to release the spring that pulls on the switch from the brake pedal. then remove the switch upward and rotate the plastic adjuster up against the body of the switch. I took mine all the way up and it seems about right, then reattach the spring to the brake pedal.