CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dunlops?

TeXTrain99

My Pilot Power rear is getting flat in the middle due to my, relatively, boring commute (60 mile round trip on the freeway). I was considering getting a Pilot Road for wear longevity. Poking around the internet I came across a two for one deal at cyclegear for D208-ZRs, front and rear for $149. Price is good but I am not so familiar with these tires.

I'm not an aggressive rider and the majority of my riding is done going back and forth to work with an occasional week end road trip (two-up 2.5-3 hour each way) thrown in. I am looking forward to TeXXt in October where I anticipate seeing more curves and elevation changes in two days than I see in 4 months in Houston!

I'm sure the Dunlops would wear quicker than the Roads but...two tires for the price on one Mich. Pilot Roads rear is attractive.

What else do I need to know about the D208-ZRs to make a good decision?

THanks for any input.

Train

I have run 207's, 208's, and the qualifier and like them all from a performance stand point. They don't last long but I like the handling and traction. I would get between 3,500mi to 5,000 depending on how hard you push them.

The other factor is the cost of a tire change. Does a dealer change your tires? If so, add in the time & money of the extra tire change when comparing two Dunlop tires to one Michelin.

Like yourself, my XX is used mostly for commuting. Hence my preference is for a long wearing tire instead of a soft sticky one.

Bowen gets about 1800 miles out of a rear 208... that's with NO burnouts!

Mike

Holy crap, I'd need a moonlighting job to support my tire habit!

P.S. thanks for the heads up on the special, just ordered two sets ( one for a friend)

I was by a dealership last week end to pick up an oil filter and asked how much they would charge to put a couple of tires on the ol' bike. I was surprised when the guy said $60....per tire. My quick mental math let me know that paying them $120 to install some Pilot Powers ($144 front $175 rear) was just not going to happen. In fact, those prices made me question how bad I was getting screwed on a $12.98 oil filter. (Anybody have a Honda dealership or motorcycle shop they trust in the Houston area? I'm about 2k away from the 16K service interval and have started thinking about where I might take the bike for the check-up/adjustment.....)

I couple of the guys I work with swear by the local Cyclegear as the best place to buy and have tires mounted. I think they are charging $15 or so a mounted tire. I can live with that.

Thanks for this good information. I think I'll go ahead and give the Dunlops a try.

Train

I was by a dealership last week end to pick up an oil filter and asked how much they would charge to put a couple of tires on the ol' bike. I was surprised when the guy said $60....per tire. My quick mental math let me know that paying them $120 to install some Pilot Powers ($144 front $175 rear) was just not going to happen. In fact, those prices made me question how bad I was getting screwed on a $12.98 oil filter. (Anybody have a Honda dealership or motorcycle shop they trust in the Houston area? I'm about 2k away from the 16K service interval and have started thinking about where I might take the bike for the check-up/adjustment.....)

I couple of the guys I work with swear by the local Cyclegear as the best place to buy and have tires mounted. I think they are charging $15 or so a mounted tire. I can live with that.

Thanks for this good information. I think I'll go ahead and give the Dunlops a try.

Train

I dunno about down where you are, but the shops by me have a few different prices. Roll up and have them remove the wheels from the bike and mount the tires, it'll cost you $75 per tire if you didn't buy the tires there or $50 per tire if you did buy the tires there. Bring the wheels in off the bike and it'll cost you $35 per tire if you didn't buy the tires from them, or $24 per tire if you did. I'd imagine that $60 quote is for bringing the bike and the tires and having them remove the wheels and mount tires you didn't buy from them. And where in the hell are you paying $144 front and $175 rear for Pilot Powers? $319?? Sheesh. I get a pair of Pilot Powers (120/70/ZR17 front 190/50/ZR17 rear) for $230 online SHIPPED, and that's with a late '06 or early '07 manufacturers date, not some 3 year old leftover, and the 180/55/ZR17s cost about $5 to $8 bucks less than the 190s.

Sheesh. I get a pair of Pilot Powers (120/70/ZR17 front 190/50/ZR17 rear) for $230 online SHIPPED, and that's with a late '06 or early '07 manufacturers date, not some 3 year old leftover, and the 180/55/ZR17s cost about $5 to $8 bucks less than the 190s.

Good point, the little shop down the street probably sits on tires for months or years.

Just say no to Dunlops. Our roads down here tear them up pretty quick. You have better conditions over in Houston, but when they go, they have a tendancy to give you vibration in the front end and all the problems that go with it. Wait 'til Cycle Gear has a Pirelli or Michelin sale. If you go in to the store on a regular basis, you'll see that they have "manager specials" that cover tires once or twice a month. They are always the best price around for mounting, too.

My two cents.

EDIT: BTW, Anson, you'd not believe how much the bike shops get down here. For ANYTHING. They'll charge you half an hour for spitting on the tank to rub out a little dust spot. $60 isn't that far off, it's about what I'd pay at Alamo Cycleplex if I was going to take it there to have it done.

I am currently running the new Avon Storms and I gotta say I absolutely love them. I used to use the Azaros and was disappointed when they went away, however their replacement kicks ass. I threw on a new pair one in the middle of June, went to SD and back (~2800 miles of slab with 3 full cases) and spent about 600 miles up there in the twisties. I've put on an additional 500 or so miles of twisty/ slab commuting and and probably have a good 3000 miles left on the tires. I'm up not too far from you and the chip seal usually netted me 5-6k per rear. I'm looking at an easy 7k miles, possibly more with these. And the great thing is they are REALLY confidence inspiring. I am a pretty aggressive twisties rider (pretty much edge to edge on the rear) and have not had it even begin to think about slipping to stepping out.

The only reason I give the above is for reference to the 208s. I ran one on my ZZR. Fucking hated it. I'll probably never even try a dunlop again (unless a bunch of ppl completely rave about a set) simply because it sucked so bad.

Bun

The dealership was asking $144 and $175 for the Pilot powers. And then $60 per tire to mount and balance. I was a bit taken aback. Those prices caused me to be suspicious of all thier other prices. I had looked online and at mail-order catalogues so I had an idea of what the prices could be. I'm not against a business making some profit, even a lot of it if they can, but if your pricing stategy alienates some potential customers perhaps it should be re-visited. Of course, the dealership isn't really in the tire selling business, are they?

anyway.....so a 190 section tire will fit? Other than a bit bigger tire, what does that do for me?

Thanks all for the input.....

Train

I assume you are buying Pilot Powers because you like to go fast around corners.

(If not, I'd be shopping for a tire that lasts longer than a Pilot Power)

A 190 is too wide for the stock rim. It was designed for a 6 inch rim. Mounting that tire on a 5.5 inch rim will change the profile.

Typically it will make your bike handle worse. How much worse depends on how hard you corner.

Bowen gets about 1800 miles out of a rear 208... that's with NO burnouts!

Mike

Holy crap, I'd need a moonlighting job to support my tire habit!

P.S. thanks for the heads up on the special, just ordered two sets ( one for a friend)

I had a 208 last seventeen days/ 1900 miles. A trip to West Virgina left it looking like a cheese grater had been run over it.

Here is the one other 208 I put on to go to SeXXt. This tire had maybe 1500 miles on it. Eighty-eight miles were the four round trips through Deals gap.

:icon_twisted:

Picture316.jpg

The dealership was asking $144 and $175 for the Pilot powers. And then $60 per tire to mount and balance. I was a bit taken aback. Those prices caused me to be suspicious of all their other prices. I had looked online and at mail-order catalogues so I had an idea of what the prices could be. I'm not against a business making some profit, even a lot of it if they can, but if your pricing strategy alienates some potential customers perhaps it should be re-visited. Of course, the dealership isn't really in the tire selling business, are they?

anyway.....so a 190 section tire will fit? Other than a bit bigger tire, what does that do for me?

Thanks all for the input.....

Train

Your tyre are a lot cheaper over there as PP here in Perth West Aus are ~$175f and $260r(180) but most tyre places will fit for nothing :icon_surprised: A couple have the tyres cheaper but then charge ~$15 a tyre to fit ( ride in ride out)so it works out ~ the same :icon_confused: Over in the east coast the prices are considerably cheaper though and there are a couple of places that do "mail order" but even then you can usually get tyres fitted for no more than $40 :icon_confused:

Oh and BTW most guys here in Aus reckon the Dunflops are the worst tyre available, I had a D208 on the front of my XX when I bought it March last year but it was close to the wear bars and cupped and it was the worst tyre I have had so far, although it did last another 5000km before I replaced it with a PP :icon_surprised: Even when the PP got bald it was better than the Duncrap, I reckon if they were 1/2 the price and you only do slab then they will be OK but if you want handling forget them :icon_whistle: JMHO

:icon_thumbsup: for Avon Storms. 4,000 kms so far, warm up quickly, excellent in the wet, $250 a pair. That was with 45% off. Mounting was no free. Mounting is never free :icon_evilgrin: All that being said I don't ride like a banshee and never get to the wear bars. Actually I put new tires on every July when I begin my summer time off. The next tire will be a Diablo, I already have a front. I don't think I've ever ridden on dunlops. Pilot roads, powers, 020's, and now Avons. Next Diablo's then maybe I'll try Metzeler's.

Just added 208's for the first time in many moons...I'll report back as to how long they last. My Pilots went for about 5500 miles...

I apologize. The 190s are stock rear size for my ZX-14, but the 180/55/17s are a few bucks cheaper and the stock size for the XX. I can find 180/55/ZR17 Pilot Powers on the internet for $135 to $140 for a rear.

Train

K S Cycle, Works

Address: 5903 Highway Blvd, Katy, TX 77494

Phones: (281) 391-4131

Kevin Stasney is the owner. He added a big bore kit and valve job to my CB1100F. He is a very good mechanic...builds race motor for people.

CycleGear for tires.

Thanks everybody for the input. I've decided to go with the Pilot Roads 180/55 from Cycle Gear at $149.99 and $20 to mount.

Last night I got all geared up to remove the rear wheel. I have a friend from out of town staying with us for a few days. He has a 2007 VROD that he has done some work on and feels like a Teutel so he was geeked up about helping me work on the 'bird. I brewed a pot of coffee, he got a fresh pack of smokes. We were ready to spend some quality time in the garage, turning wrenches, grunting, being manly men for at least a couple of hours. You can imagine our dumb-ass demeanor 10 minutes later when the wheel was off. I hadn't even gotten to the second sip of my coffee and he hadn't even peeled the cellophane from his smokes. Hell, my finance hadn't even gotten home from work! WTF!? So we cleaned the chain, recharged the KN filter (with only 4K miles worth of dirt on it), then we cleaned up the tire and rim, just looking for things to do. The wheel bearings turn smoothly, the spocket shows no wear. I showed him how easy it was to remove/install the lower and inner fairings. "Sonuvabitch, Honda's are easy to work on." Yup.

When we put the wheel back on tonight, I'm anticipating it being as easy as removing it. Anything in particular I should be on the look out for? Should I be thinking about regreasing the axle or bearings? I don't think so but it has been years since I maintained a motorcycle on a regular basis. Sure would hate to treat such a beautiful, sweet bike poorly.

Again, I appreciate all the feed back. It really helps.

Train

I'm SOOO glad I mount and balance by own tires!

Just figuring out what tire, and where to get it cheapest is enough.

Having to deal with where to mount, how much, who won't even mount if not bought there, etc. is too much.

Thanks everybody for the input. I've decided to go with the Pilot Roads 180/55 from Cycle Gear at $149.99 and $20 to mount.

Last night I got all geared up to remove the rear wheel. I have a friend from out of town staying with us for a few days. He has a 2007 VROD that he has done some work on and feels like a Teutel so he was geeked up about helping me work on the 'bird. I brewed a pot of coffee, he got a fresh pack of smokes. We were ready to spend some quality time in the garage, turning wrenches, grunting, being manly men for at least a couple of hours. You can imagine our dumb-ass demeanor 10 minutes later when the wheel was off. I hadn't even gotten to the second sip of my coffee and he hadn't even peeled the cellophane from his smokes. Hell, my finance hadn't even gotten home from work! WTF!? So we cleaned the chain, recharged the KN filter (with only 4K miles worth of dirt on it), then we cleaned up the tire and rim, just looking for things to do. The wheel bearings turn smoothly, the spocket shows no wear. I showed him how easy it was to remove/install the lower and inner fairings. "Sonuvabitch, Honda's are easy to work on." Yup.

When we put the wheel back on tonight, I'm anticipating it being as easy as removing it. Anything in particular I should be on the look out for? Should I be thinking about regreasing the axle or bearings? I don't think so but it has been years since I maintained a motorcycle on a regular basis. Sure would hate to treat such a beautiful, sweet bike poorly.

Again, I appreciate all the feed back. It really helps.

Train

The bearings are sealed, no grease. PersonallyI clean the axle with wd40 and a rag than smear a little gease on the axle ...wipe the grease seals clean and slide'er back in.

Porter, you're soooooooo anal! :icon_lol: WD40? Wipe? WOW!

Seriously, he's got it exactly right. I used to use too much grease, and then Involute let me in on the fact you just attract more dust and crap if you do it that way. If the axle doesn't slide in fairly easily, something probably isn't lined up. If you're doing the front, make sure you've got all the weight off the front wheel when you slide it in. The job'll take about 3 times the time it did to take it off to adjust the chain and put the front fender back on.

Porter, you're soooooooo anal! :icon_lol: WD40? Wipe? WOW!

Lets see, WD40. grease, anal, wipe :icon_evilgrin:

Duane your my kinda guy

Seriously, he's got it exactly right. I used to use too much grease, and then Involute let me in on the fact you just attract more dust and crap if you do it that way. If the axle doesn't slide in fairly easily, something probably isn't lined up. If you're doing the front, make sure you've got all the weight off the front wheel when you slide it in. The job'll take about 3 times the time it did to take it off to adjust the chain and put the front fender back on.