CBR1100XX.org Forum

Running extremely rich!!!

therealshake

HI everyone. I just bought a 2000 xx and i'm having a problem. the bike is running extremely rich. i can smell gas coming out the tailpipes. the bike bogs down when i pull off in 1st gear and cuts out/ surges @ 3500 rpm's. my mechanic tells me there is no fault code on the FI. any ideas or guidance is greatly appreciated. BTW... I'm 53 yrs old and I'm glad to be here.

thanks,

therealshake

Does your bike have an aftermarket fuel management system like the Power Commander?

Has the bike been unused for an extended period of time, which might cause an injector to be stuck open? If you have a mechanic's stethoscope you should be able to hear each injector clicking as it opens/closes.

Add a can of Sea Foam to your next tankful. It seems to be fairly effective at cleaning out fuel systems.

Did the bike sit for a long time before you bought it? If so, you might be looking at a stuck injector.

Don't fool with this too long...washing down a cylinder with gas and diluting the oil isn't really good for it.

Sounds like you could start with a good tune-up and inspection of components before you do much else, youngster.

IIRC a few others had this same symptom and it was the fuel pressure regulator.

you're great!!! it was the fuel pressure regulator!!! thanks for the help

You're welcome. I'm going to take a nap now.