CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB - OEM Front and Rear wheels XR650L

Guys,

I'm looking for a set of XR650L wheels to keep as spares to switch between dirt tires and street tires. I need the entire assemble so I can just switch them out. The newer the better. I have a 2007. You wouldn't believe how bad the Non-DOT tires stink when driven on the road. Yikes! And spooning them on and off is a pain in the ass.

PM me with details.

I'm really hoping to find some in like new condition. Seriously...I don't want junk.

Thanks!

Walter

Have you tried ADVRider.com yet?

Good idea. I'll try that. I've been watching Thumpertalk.

SuupaMmmmmmmmootoooo

Walt, you going to relace to 17?

Oooo...that's a good idea, too. I was just talking with a guy nearby that had some loops hanging on the wall. It didn't cross my mind to knock the size down for sport tires. You may have just cost me a few Bills....

:icon_whistle:

Walt is there anything to this putting a CBR wheel on your bike with modification.

I found this under Thumpertalk Forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinfan30

very nice! cbr wheels bolt right up???

Do a search on here or at supermotojunkie.com, kubiak is the guy who does the best step by step. Fortunately for me the back was already done when i bought it, it needs the most machine work. The front (which i have not done yet...still looking for a wheel) just needs the castings knocked back to the face of the bearing, then sleeves to step the 20mm bearing down to the 17mm xr shaft. These sleeves can be integrated into spacers as well. Then figure out a mounting bracket for the caliper.

I need to get the rear wheel refinished, lots of nicks on it. I'll do that this winter, same time as the wheel mod, provided i can find and F3 wheel, they look better because the disc mounting flange is much smaller than an F2, since you only use a single sided rotor on the xr.

I found this under

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530730

post-1973-1185112605.jpg

Walt is there anything to this putting a CBR wheel on your bike with modification.

I found this under Thumpertalk Forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinfan30

very nice! cbr wheels bolt right up???

Do a search on here or at supermotojunkie.com, kubiak is the guy who does the best step by step. Fortunately for me the back was already done when i bought it, it needs the most machine work. The front (which i have not done yet...still looking for a wheel) just needs the castings knocked back to the face of the bearing, then sleeves to step the 20mm bearing down to the 17mm xr shaft. These sleeves can be integrated into spacers as well. Then figure out a mounting bracket for the caliper.

I need to get the rear wheel refinished, lots of nicks on it. I'll do that this winter, same time as the wheel mod, provided i can find and F3 wheel, they look better because the disc mounting flange is much smaller than an F2, since you only use a single sided rotor on the xr.

I found this under

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530730

Hmm.....I'll be looking into that. Thanks for the link and post.

Walter

Doing something like this Walt?

Local kid selling his for $4000.

Wow...4k seems cheap considering all the work and money.

I'm starting to see a patter with the big XR. As soon as people complete the conversion....they sell the bike.

It must not be a good motard?

Sometimes I wish I had started with the R model in lieu of the L. I like the water cooled and better suspension. I also like the softer suspension and street goodies of the L. And...I ride it on the street more than trail. I'll probably keep it completely stock with one set of strictly dirt and one set of 90/10 road/trail tires.

Walter

There's a nice looking KTM motard for sale close to me. It includes some nice spares. I'll check it out if you're interested.

Craigslist

And if you come here I'll take you on a nice dual sport ride.

Walt, I grabbed an entire bolt-on package used. I haven't really put them to the test, only around town... but that around town is fuuuun. Very light and maneuverable. The 320mm front rotor is fantastic... immediate braking, like yesterday. Recommend that.

Did you ever see the L that was done up with Repsol colors and an undertail exhaust, very nice.

...a few missing parts while out taking a test drive... but anyway...

XRR_1.jpg

Walt, I grabbed an entire bolt-on package used. I haven't really put them to the test, only around town... but that around town is fuuuun. Very light and maneuverable. The 320mm front rotor is fantastic... immediate braking, like yesterday. Recommend that.

Did you ever see the L that was done up with Repsol colors and an undertail exhaust, very nice.

...a few missing parts while out taking a test drive... but anyway...

XRR_1.jpg

That is cool!

See...That's the way I'd go if I could do it all over again. I think there's much more "support" for the R model than the L.

:icon_wall:

See...That's the way I'd go if I could do it all over again. I think there's much more "support" for the R model than the L.

It depends on what you want to do with the bike and where you live.

I have an L model. So I don't need a truck/trailer to get my bike to an off-road area. And if I decided to motard mine, I wouldn't have to make it street legal and go through the DMV hassle.

In VA it's a royal PITA to get a XR650R registered and plated. Yes the R model could be made street legal - horn, signals, brake light, etc. but that's the easy part. IIRC, VA doesn't have a standard process for making an off-road vehicle street legal. Maybe (hopefully) it's easier in Ohio.

But if decide to sell your XR650L, can I get the right of first refusal?

• 1 month later...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265396

A little spendy, and for an R. I don't know what the differences in axle/brake sizes are between the R and the L.

I'd love to find a quick-change solution for my XR400, preferably with some oem cast aluminum wheels that would fit. Haven't found the right solution yet.