CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Jerking Some On Centerstand...

jambie

I cleaned and lubed the chain on my '02 today and checked the tension. I think it's right where it should be, and well within the limits for stretch (as it should be with only 7000+ miles on it). When I ran the bike in gear on the centerstand, though, there seemed to be a little jerkiness and vertical movement now and then above the chain pad on top of the swingarm. When I rotate the rear wheel by hand, I can't detect any sticky links.

This is the first time I've run the bike in gear on the centerstand (I've only owned it a year...), so maybe this is normal, but I'd like to know if I've got a wonky chain.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom

It sounds as though you are fine. Without a load, the transmission, and therefore the chain speed is slightly irregular, and creates the jumping and jerkiness you described. Its exacerbated with your engine at an idle. To demonstrate, bring the revs up to 2000 and apply a little bit of rear brake, and you'll see things running a bit more calmly.

I bought the bike last year with just under 1000 miles on it :icon_eek: , and it's now got 7900 miles. I did what you suggest, and there don't seem to be any tight links when I rotate the wheel slowly, either.

I lube the chain after any ride in the rain, and otherwise wait until I can feel some slightly rough feedback when I let off the gas while still in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear and coast. This always disappears when I lube the chain, and served me well as an indicator on the VFR I owned.

One thing I'm trying this time is a different chain lube. I was using Honda HP Chain Lube in the red can, but switched this time to Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube. I never tgought the Honda stuff lasted all that long, and seemed to attract a lot of dirt. Who knows how the Bel Ray stuff will work...

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Tom