CBR1100XX.org Forum

Nik's oil pan

cbrxxquad

I had gotten Nik's oil pan to repair for a spare and decided to weld it last night. It has cracked when he tightened the drain plug, for those who don't know.

I have done a lot of welding on porous aluminum, some meant to be that way for lightening, and skined with smooth metal to prevent leaking. Even some with honeycomb structure inside.

And the Honda pan is not that solid either, and makes for some really hard welding that won't seep.

But his was nothing but holes where it cracked, and nowhere else around the crack. Did not have a chance of staying together with the slightest pressure applied to it.

Just to warn and to reduce the stigma.

I did not think that pictures were needed but will if wanted.

Did Nik torque the plug to spec?

Or just give it one good tug???

Swiss cheese, anybodys would have cracked!!!

Was good metal around though, no holes. the sealing surface even had porosity.

Stan,

What equipment are you welding with? TIG or MIG. Can you add a backer plate of Alum. and fill in the entire area? I've filed in some big ass holes :icon_evilgrin: in steel and alum. and then grind down .

I know its not worth it, time or money wise. But I'm anal that way :icon_redface: Man, I must have ass on the brain.

Stan,

What equipment are you welding with? TIG or MIG. Can you add a backer plate of Alum. and fill in the entire area? I've filed in some big ass holes :icon_evilgrin: in steel and alum. and then grind down .

I know its not worth it, time or money wise. But I'm anal that way :icon_redface: Man, I must have ass on the brain.

250 synrowave miller. I was able to liquidfy the metal till all the bubbles came out and put in some filler aluminum to make up for the loss in volume. I filled over with a few more passes to tie into the metal that was solid. I went ahead and closed the opening and am going to go over the inside and liquidfy to get the bubbles out and fill in the threaded hole. Will face off and redrill a drain hole.

These pans are very porous and when I made mine for off road I was never ble to get it to stop seeping. Elton Fish Racing is making his like mine now and he powder coats to stop the leaks.

I did penetrate good enough to remove the crack from the outside but will do the inside just to remove the stress.

You said Ass,,,,,,,,a lot,,,,,,,

Is this worth it? What does a drain pan cost 100 bucks?

I didn't think it was a good idea to weld casting material. Most welders woun't even touch the stuff.

It takes skill, and really good equipment. And about 20 min. and $2.00.

It was not about the cost or effort, it was all about why and who.