CBR1100XX.org Forum

Small Heat Shield?

Opus X

Anybody know where I can obtain a small piece of titanium tubing? I replaced my exhaust with a Hindle high mount and I am having problems with my heel resting on the pipe. The midpipes should be back from the powder coater tommorow and I thought I would space a piece of tubing, sliced in half, bolted where my heel rests on the midpipe. The powder coater had a job of sand-blasting the rubber residue off and I don't want to ruin the new finish. I thought titanium would be good as it wouldn't absorb the heat as much as say stainless, and I am hoping for cooling effect from the small gap the spacer would provide. The tubing would have to be around 2 1/2" in diameter and maybe 3-4" long. I don't have a problem buying a minimum amount providing the price is reasonable. The problem is especially bad this time of year with 100+ degree temperatures here in Tucson and the road trips I take to get out of the heat. Lots of places sell titanium tubing but for such a small amount who can blame them for not being interested.

Any thoughts on a different solution?

Tim

If you can make a 2.25" shield work for you, they can be found in any cruiser-oriented aftermarket catalog in many different lengths. Of course, they're all mild steel and usually chromed (rattle can to the rescue..?) but the cost is very reasonable...

Do a google search for "motorcycle heat shield" and you will turn up a few. I bought the aluminum ones with the holes in them because I thought they looked good with the pegs. They were pricey, I think $32 each and I didn't like the way they mounted. Just tabs bent 90 deg. with a hose clamp through them. I ended up cutting a hose clamp to put between the pipe and heat shield so they wouldn't scratch the pipes. But they do the job and look good. And they were available in several colors including black. From Dennis Kirk.

post-3697-1184171172.jpg