CBR1100XX.org Forum

Higher octane during the summer heat?

JB4XX

I've noticed a some pinging from 2500-3000 in sixth on my 97XX. It has a 18t front sprocket45t rear so that RPM is usually around 55mph. Do you need higher octane fuel in the 90++ summer heat?

Or should I just keep dropping it down three gears to get up near six grand to merge onto the interstates?

:icon_twisted:

The engine is not meant to be loaded on 6th gear in walking speeds. It is real bad when it pings and this can happen (unheard) also on higher rpm's if the fuel is bad and there are the signs that you have. Pinging is very dangerous to an engine with such a small components as a motorcycle engine. Try better fuel and don’t load the engine on low rpm's on high gears, the gearbox is supposed to be used. Sorry if sounding rude; just want to be very clear on this.

Setting aside the comments above for a moment, the answer to your question is yes if it's detonating. Generally, high summer temperatures, especially at relatively low altitudes, can make an engine more susceptible to detonation in the summer than it might be in cooler seasons. Lug it in the heat of summer and you're likely to see more detonation than if you do the same thing in 70 degree weather.

If it's only noted in 6th gear thats a real concern. You normally would be moving at a decent clip, so wind noise would likely over-ride any pinging. Agree with above, don't lug it and try premium if it continues.

If it's only noted in 6th gear thats a real concern. You normally would be moving at a decent clip, so wind noise would likely over-ride any pinging. Agree with above, don't lug it and try premium if it continues.

I was told to always use premium due to the fact that sportbikes are high proformance out of the box.

The bird is factory tuned for 87 octane. Anything more than that and you're throwing money away.

What do you guys say is a safe RPM to ride around at? I typically keep mine around 4200-4500 cruising, as I can hit the throttle at that RPM and the engine not bog down. Anybody running way higher or way lower than that?

The bird is factory tuned for 87 octane. Anything more than that and you're throwing money away.

What do you guys say is a safe RPM to ride around at? I typically keep mine around 4200-4500 cruising, as I can hit the throttle at that RPM and the engine not bog down. Anybody running way higher or way lower than that?

That's about where I run mine, too. (46 T in the rear, since it's available for a ZX12, which is the sprocket that fits the Carozzerria wheels.) But in mountain twisties I'm usually between 5000 and 7000, mostly for the engine braking.

I always use 87 and ride it the same way I ride year round. I just noticed some detonation since we have been in the mid-90's.

I use the bird to commute and take a few interstae ramps to go from one to the nexxt. I can usually just use the awesome torque of the bird to accelerate with the cages around me and just leave it in top gear.

I hear ya on the mid 90's, unfortunately for us we can have mid 90's nearly anytime of the year. Today it was 92-ish with a heat index of 104-ish. So we have the 90+ heat and the 90+% humidity, and that combined with my fat ass should ping like crazy. But I keep my RPM's up, and only get into 6th from about 70 or so on up, which means interstate only. I would suggest 6th only be used in a similar situation, unless you are out on open road and off the interstate, or on the interstate but in a limited traffic situation. Having the power available when you need it by running higher RPM's is much more important than gas mileage, IMO.

I hear ya on the mid 90's, unfortunately for us we can have mid 90's nearly anytime of the year. Today it was 92-ish with a heat index of 104-ish. So we have the 90+ heat and the 90+% humidity, and that combined with my fat ass should ping like crazy. But I keep my RPM's up, and only get into 6th from about 70 or so on up, which means interstate only. I would suggest 6th only be used in a similar situation, unless you are out on open road and off the interstate, or on the interstate but in a limited traffic situation. Having the power available when you need it by running higher RPM's is much more important than gas mileage, IMO.

I also drive the same, & my temp's are similar & but usually worse in south Texas, Pinging is serious trouble & very bad for an engine, Most likely if it is doing it in 6th it is doing it in other's gear's also , you probably dont notice or cant here it, I would recommend Mid grade fuel, & keep your shift point's around 5K RPM & stay out of 6th gear until 70-75mph, as some has already recomended.

Something to remember is that there are hundreds of different gasoline formulations. The gas that JB has in IN is forumated slightly different from what Furbird uses in Mobile AL which is different from the gas in CA. IIRC, correctly gas is formulated for certain regions to account for environmental factors - elevation, average humidity, temps, etc. and gov't regulation. Is the difference significant enough to be noticeable? I dunno.

First you should determine if it is detonation or pre-ignition. Timing change or maybe cooler plugs might help. A build up of carbon in the combustion chamber can cause all sorts of trouble. You want the spark to fire the cylinder and not the heat remaining in the cylinder from the last cycle.

+1000 on the unforgiving nature of small components. Detonation overloads components terrifically. It will knock out the oil film between a bearing and the crankshaft and you have instant metal on metal....not good! Broken ring lands are often the result also. You should not lug an engine but you may have a problem besides being in too high a gear.

Good luck

Mr. Badexxample makes an excellent point about the fuel, I didn't think about that. My folks and I took a trip to Florida a few weeks ago, and the Florida-blended gas ran way better and resulted in better mileage in the van than the fuel we get in Mobile. It may be that virtually all of Florida is within 100 miles of the coast and only about 15% or so of Alabama is, so our fuel may be blended for less humidity or higher altitudes. There is no low-humidity or high-altitude areas in Florida, so the fuel runs the same regardless of where you are. But in Alabama, you have a beach and 100% humidity versus mile-high mountains with 10% humidity in the same state, so our fuel has to be blended differently.

Regardless of all that, it still won't fix the pinging issue the original poster is having, because you can't exactly go ride down south a few states to get better gas. I would do two things, change your gas station and try a different brand and see if it goes away, then change spark plugs. One is significantly easier to accomplish......

I've tried "blowing it out" a couple times. :icon_redface:

Never really noticed the detonation before a couple weeks ago. I revved the bike much more today and just couldnt help but think I may just not hear it as much at 5-6k. I use Marathon gas most of the time around home due to the location of the station.

I live twenty miles from Louisville which has reformulated gas. I didnt think we had the stuff out here. :icon_think:

I noticed a little knock even when I was rolling on in 6th at 4-5k on the revs.

I may just leave it in first gear from now on.

:icon_cool:

I may just leave it in first gear from now on.

:icon_cool:

It sounds very odd that the engine knocks due to the fuel quality when you are rolling on 6th at 4 to 5 k. It is not the chain or front sprocket that is very worn, or the rear wheel is misaligned?

My Bird runs better on premium fuel, the engine is quieter so premium is what she gets.

Could it be your CCT is allowing the cam chain to rattle around at the lower RPMs?

This sounds normal to me..... if your buying cheap crap gas, and especially if it's of a lower octane.

Check this out...

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

and on the second page... the list...

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

I could go off about my personal experience with cheap crap gas... but I don't have the time.

I can't say I have ever had the XX pinging since I have had it even when running std 91 RON ( the same as your 87 I believe :icon_confused: ), I do tend to run the premium 95 RON though just because it seems to run slightly smoother and be a bit more lively to pick up ( may be subconscious :icon_surprised: ), I have tried the 98 Ultra high octane petrol and found it did nothing except lighten my wallet so don't bother with it :icon_surprised: Also we get temps here in West Aus of 40-45C in summer and have never had it ping then either :icon_surprised: