CBR1100XX.org Forum

inlet not lined up.... at all

Echo

my 99s right side air intake isnt lined up with the opening in the fairing. i can reach in there and move it arround but it pulls to center and is about an inch off when it settles. wtf. im an idiot but i think this might be something i can fix myself if i could get some leads on how (like how to get at it). ill try to get a pic of it and post it sometime tomorrow afternoon. i just dont wanna have to take it to the shop again and pay labor costs for somethign that looks like it can be fixed with duct tape iffn i can get inside the nose. oh, while im here, how to adjust the angle of the headlight. mine seems to illuminate the road for 20' then nothing (low beam). kinda hard to ride at night like that.

when replying please take into account that i dont even know how to change my oil. hell, i put my first 3k miles on it before i figured out that the chain needs lube! :icon_helpsign:

If you had the bike in the shop, and they removed the upper cowl or the ram air ducts, they are liable for reinstalling them correctly....in which case it shouldn't cost you anything for them to correct their shoddy labor.

I've tried to fix this situation on numerous occasions, and usually end up pulling the cowl partly off. The ram air tubes fit over the inlets on the cowl...and they are deep enough so that it is not easy at all to slip them in place once the cowl is installed. I think the design engineers wanted them to stay in place once installed. Trying to pry them over the lip is risky at best...I have not found a good tool that gives me any confidence I won't crack the fairing. The safest method is to take the mirror off the affected side, slip the fairing forward off the locating tab of the fairing stay and use that extra half inch of clearance to locate the ram air tube correctly.

If the ram air tube is not correctly installed, there may be a bit of flex in your front cowl...enough to slightly re-aim the headlight. I wouldn't reset your headlight until the first condition is corrected. However, should you feel the need, here is a picture of the back of the headlight mounted in the cowl just as it sits on your bike.

post-4340-1183980911.jpg

The left knob moves the beam vertically...clockwise = up. The right knob adjusts left and right...clockwise = right. These knobs can be reached from underneath the cowl, and they are very stiff to turn...in order that they hold their position once set.

Also consider that if the fairing is misaligned, because it had to be forced into position to compress the ram air duct, that will affect how nearly all the plastic bodywork fits together, and if you disassemble it, you may find it difficult to realign and reinstall unless the ram air tube is correctly repositioned. You should also loosen all the bolts that hold the bodywork along the sides if this is the case so that the plastic can move into the correct position again. Again, this is assuming the shop removed the front cowl and incorrectly reinstalled it. If not, the displacement of the ram air tube existed before you took possession...I've never known one to come out of place once correctly installed unless you move the fairing significantly...the type of significant attributed with striking a tree, or a Buick. Its advisable to have help when you are doing this...unless you have several spare arms.

...If the ram air tube is not correctly installed...

The problem you are having was probably caused by someone before you trying to force the ram air ducts into place and slightly bent the ram air brackets. I've faced the same challenge and the correct way past it is... Remove both fairings (not the cowling) and the associated black vinyl side pieces; see which way the ram air ducts have to move and see which brackets have to be bent (a little & gently) to make it all come together easily. Can't remember if it's a push-pin bracket or a screw bracket that needs a little tweak (probably push-pin) but, once you've figured it out you can get it all aligned pretty easily. :icon_thumbsup:

And... two sets of hands makes it all go easier still.

sorry bout the lack of a pic. moninlaw was rearended this mornin down in tampa and i had to go get the car. no biggie but a long drive. im up in lake city florida. if this problem isnt gonna be a quick duct tape fix then ill just wait till i get my hid light and have it all done at once (shop hasnt been in the nose yet). unless having it off to one side like that can damage the bike. cant say for shure but im gonna go with previous owner as some parts have been welded back on (me thinks he wrecked it atleast once) and not always in the correct spots. thanks for the detailed info tho. the headlight adjustment portion is gonna come in real handy.