CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb Bird Running Rich I Think

xxexcess

Bit of background to this, i have just moved out of the uk to sunny climes down to the mediteranean, before i left the uk i had changed the air filter from a k&n to another brand called filtrex ever since then i had slight flat spot at low rpm high gear situations. since i have moved the flat spot is even worse now say in 6th gear 2.5k rpm it just splutters when i open the throttle, it gets worse as i go higher up into the hills/mountains, i can go from sea level to 1700ft in 40mins riding and need to change down at least 1 or sometimes 2 gears lower than i would do normally. Ambient air temps here are around mid 30 degs c if that helps so 90 plus in f.

I appreciate that the higher you go the less air there is. the exhaust tips are sooty after even an hours riding which i never had before either.

I had the tank off today to find that airbox had come loose over the carbs and the rubbers below the carbs where there are some further hose type clips were also not very tight, dodn't make a lot of difference to it's running.

Ok so the question is should i change back to k&n or pipercross which is available locally and am i looking at a re jet or at the bare minimum a carb tune/balalnce. The bike was previously re jetted to get over the infamous flat spot from the factory with the K&n filter that i changed out. oh one final thing i can start the bike without the choke from cold eh wtf?????

If i do need to rejet what do you guys recommend??? and any other tips from you guys that ride in the hot states.

Sorry for the long post but i have tried to give as much info as i have.

thanks for reading

Iain

I would turn in the fuel screws half a turn to start with and see where this leads. The main jets can be to large without affecting the rpm register that you refers to, as long as the pilote screws and needle position is tuned correct.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_proc...pm_engines.html

I would turn in the fuel screws half a turn to start with and see where this leads. The main jets can be to large without affecting the rpm register that you refers to, as long as the pilote screws and needle position is tuned correct.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_proc...pm_engines.html

+1, alot can be accomplished from adjusting the pilot jet fuel mixture.

HI I AM NEW ON THIS FORUM,SO I HOPE THIS COMES OUT OK. FIRST THING, I AM IN SPAIN AND FOUND THE SAME THING.ARE YOU RUNNING STANDARD EXHAUSTS.??AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT MAIN JETS ARE FITTED.THE DYN JET KIT INFO IS NOT ALWAYS SPOT ON,BECAUSE WE ALL LIVE IN DIFFRENT CLIMATS. TRY ADJUSTING PILOT JET FIRST, ITS THE ONLY ONE UNDER THE BOTTOM OFF THE CARBS BUT I THINK YOU NEED TO GET A DYNO MAN ON THE JOB.... ONLY TRYING TO HELP .

HI I AM NEW ON THIS FORUM,SO I HOPE THIS COMES OUT OK. FIRST THING, I AM IN SPAIN AND FOUND THE SAME THING.ARE YOU RUNNING STANDARD EXHAUSTS.??AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT MAIN JETS ARE FITTED.THE DYN JET KIT INFO IS NOT ALWAYS SPOT ON,BECAUSE WE ALL LIVE IN DIFFRENT CLIMATS. TRY ADJUSTING PILOT JET FIRST, ITS THE ONLY ONE UNDER THE BOTTOM OFF THE CARBS BUT I THINK YOU NEED TO GET A DYNO MAN ON THE JOB.... ONLY TRYING TO HELP .

Don't shout - Turn off the caps lock :icon_whistle:

Well after some hunting around i found a shop that does K&N swapped in the new filter threw the paper one in the corner of the garage and went for blast, no flat spot and pulls like a train again. I guess it proves that K&N do flow more air, thanks to all who replied.

iain