CBR1100XX.org Forum

regulator/rectifier

XXMAN

I installed oem bags on my bike in doing this I to cut a small hole where one of the bolts goes threw the reg/rec. I moved the reg/rec not realizing it had to be bolted on to be grounded. I got stranded in the middle of no where my fault :icon_redface: . My battery was old after this it would not start my bike. I got my bike home got a new battery bolted reg/rec with one bolt it is touching metal and it will start runs fine but not the entire back of the reg/rec is touching will this work or am I going to be stranded again?

Yes the risk that you will be stranded again is there :icon_sad: The R/R needs to dissipate its heat to the frame. From an electrical point of view you only need a wire from the R/R case to the frame and it will work. But it is important to have as much physical contact between the R/R and the frame as possible to get rid of the heat in the R/R to make it last. You cant put your hands on a R/R unit that has bad contact to the frame. If they are well fitted, the R/R will have almost the same low temperature as the frame. The general rule is that the life expectancy of electronics will be reduced by 50% for every 10 deeg C increase. It makes a big difference if the R/R is +30 deg C or if it is burning hot that it will be if it hangs on one tab only.

Yes the risk that you will be stranded again is there :icon_sad: The R/R needs to dissipate its heat to the frame. From an electrical point of view you only need a wire from the R/R case to the frame and it will work. But it is important to have as much physical contact between the R/R and the frame as possible to get rid of the heat in the R/R to make it last. You cant put your hands on a R/R unit that has bad contact to the frame. If they are well fitted, the R/R will have almost the same low temperature as the frame. The general rule is that the life expectancy of electronics will be reduced by 50% for every 10 deeg C increase. It makes a big difference if the R/R is +30 deg C or if it is burning hot that it will be if it hangs on one tab only.

The whole thing is now bolted to the frame hopefully there was not to much damage done earlier wish me luck. :icon_biggrin:

If it works OK its not broken and you have not been using it for long so you don’t need to worry. In case you are as anal as med regarding R/R, you will also sandpaper the frame so there is metal-to-metal contact between the R/R and the frame. A paper-thin layer of heat sink compound between R/R and frame will also improve the cooling of the R/R.