CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ram mount/Heli bars

Canadian Bird

Will a ram mount for the Bird still fit with Heli Bars. I want to mount a 9500i and need a mount. For a fairing plug in, what are the suggestions?

Do you mean the master cylinder mount? Just make sure it doesn't hit the tank at full lock. I had to adjust my VFR bars slighlty to gain clearance.

I think so. The brake master cylinder is very close to the "horizontal" bar of the Heli Bars. There does not seem to be much space. So, how are members mounting their farkles when you are using risers, specifically, Heli Bars? Pics would be nice. I can't fabricate anything. Thanks.

Will a ram mount for the Bird still fit with Heli Bars. I want to mount a 9500i and need a mount. For a fairing plug in, what are the suggestions?

what about using the center 12mm hex whole in the triple top? see pics in this thread.

cbr thread

I had a RAM mount on my VFR bars, and at full lock it hit my front "hook" on my Bagster cover. Chewed it up a little bit.

I took it off, and mounted my ram using a stem-mounted ram ball. It's a long (16" or so) threaded rod with a ram ball mounted on top of it. It slides down through the center stem (you take out that little black rubber cap.) A washer and a nut secure it from below.

It puts your device right in the middle of your handlebars. Very nice.

EDIT: What Kiwi says up above.

I've got the Heli-bars with a Ram mount for the Garmin 2610 as shown in the above picture, but it is mounted to my clutch reservoir. It has two swivel points so I can maneuver it anyway I want. I check clearances at full left and right locks, then set it and forget it. I'll see if I can post the two pictures I took.

Tony

Edited: Clear of all gages. Direct connect to the battery with fuse in-line.

post-163-1184388083.jpg

post-163-1184388098.jpg

did you know,,,,that a handlebar clamp from like a motorcross bike or any other handlebar mount will work with the master cylinder clamp.

Why, does this mater, well you can make it a mount for things and bolt it to the master cylinder cause it is thick enough to drill and tap or weld.

Thanks for the help. Problem solved. www.techmounts.com #10998. Stong torque necessary but solves my mounting issues. I spoke to them and they are manufacturing one and sending it priority post. Hopefully that plus the hard wire will be ready for a road trip to San Fran with a Harley buddy :icon_rolleyes::icon_whistle: , yes, it's possible to co-exist, in August. I'll try to post pics. Cheers

• 11 months later...
I've got the Heli-bars with a Ram mount for the Garmin 2610 as shown in the above picture, but it is mounted to my clutch reservoir. It has two swivel points so I can maneuver it anyway I want. I check clearances at full left and right locks, then set it and forget it. I'll see if I can post the two pictures I took.

Tony

Edited: Clear of all gages. Direct connect to the battery with fuse in-line.

Hi Tony,

- Is this the Ram Mount model that you used (http://www.gpscity.com/ramb309-1)?

- Does it just use the longer bolt to thread into the existing nuts of the clutch clamp?

Thanks!

-mike-

Here is a triple tree pic. I also have a ram mount that hooks on with replacing matercylinder bolts with longer ones.

Thats the setup i have.

Its an interesting set up. It holds the mount in with compression of a big rubber stopper. Frankly, i thought it was shitty, because they give you a long stopper that you have to cut to fit the inside diameter (ID) of the steering stem. The problem is that the plate that the nut that goes into, can simply fall out. What i did is epoxy the nut to the back of the plastic plate, and used a 1" wide piece of shrink tubing and shrinked the whole assembly together. That way, even if i unscrewed the screw, nothing would fall down into the tube and get lost.

I heated the shrink and shoved everything down in while it was still hot.

I did the same thing for my F4i. Now i can swap back and forth from bike to bike in about 1 min and only had to buy one kit.

I made a custom wiring harness, so i could just plug in the GPS.