CBR1100XX.org Forum

Power Commander III

02XXCA

Power Commander web sites suck as it doesn't seem to have any of the old software or help on the older PC3. I just picked up a serial PC3 and was trying to see if I could use a usb to serial adapter to talk to the serial PC3.

Has anyone tried this and had any luck? I don't have a computer with a serial adapter to I need this to work.

Unless someone on here has had experience otherwise, I'd say your chances are really good that it will work. I use USB-serial adaptors with some pretty old and strange equipment, and I've never had any problems.

Chris, I bought one on ebay for $15 shipped. Hell, if I can find it, you can have it, I've no need of it anymore. I'll dig around and let you know by the end of the day. Finding the little driver disc might be the biggest problem....

Thanks for all the replies, I had tried a usb to serial adapter that came with an APC UPS device. I found some drivers that seem to have loaded on XP, but still no go. I will try and download the software from APC as if I'm going to connect to ups and see if that gets it working.

I was concerned that the Com port needed to be tweaked, anyone know what speed and parity and flow control being used by the com port being used is?

9600 baud N-8-1 is typical, and I imagine these settings would work just fine with the PCIII.

You might possibly have problems because you're using a USB-serial adaptor that was intended for use specifically with your UPS, so its driver might not be as configurable as that of an off-the-shelf adaptor. It's possible they locked in some funky settings.

I would first try getting your USB-serial adaptor working with your UPS. Once you have it working the way it was intended to, you should hopefully be able to then just plug it into the PCIII with no problem.

If you can get it working with the UPS but not the PCIII, then try going into the Windows device manager to see if you are able to change the settings.

An off-the-sheld adaptor should be pretty cheap if all else fails, and others have said that they work well with the PCIII.

9600 baud N-8-1 is typical, and I imagine these settings would work just fine with the PCIII.

You might possibly have problems because you're using a USB-serial adaptor that was intended for use specifically with your UPS, so its driver might not be as configurable as that of an off-the-shelf adaptor. It's possible they locked in some funky settings.

I would first try getting your USB-serial adaptor working with your UPS. Once you have it working the way it was intended to, you should hopefully be able to then just plug it into the PCIII with no problem.

If you can get it working with the UPS but not the PCIII, then try going into the Windows device manager to see if you are able to change the settings.

An off-the-sheld adaptor should be pretty cheap if all else fails, and others have said that they work well with the PCIII.

Might just have to make a trip down to Fry's to see if I can pick one up.

Thanks for the offer Tim, I ended up going down to Fry's and picked up a proper USB-serial adapter and was able to read the PC3 withouth a problem.

Thanks for the offer Tim, I ended up going down to Fry's and picked up a proper USB-serial adapter and was able to read the PC3 withouth a problem.

Chris,

what type of map did you put on you bike?

Chris,

what type of map did you put on you bike?

I downloaded a map off of the Two Brothers web site configured for slipons and stock air filter.

It felt a little snapier today, but I had also changed plugs and filter which definately needed changing.