CBR1100XX.org Forum

Does wax expand or contract when it cools?

XX4me

I'm working on the Wax Unit and I'm trying to figure out how the Starter Valves richen the mixture when the bike is cold.

Wax expands when heated.

The starter valves do not richen the mixture at all, just provide additional air past the throttle blades.

I'm working on the Wax Unit and I'm trying to figure out how the Starter Valves richen the mixture when the bike is cold.

Wax expands when heated.

The starter valves do not richen the mixture at all, just provide additional air past the throttle blades.

AHHH HA! So it does lean out when it's cold.

Or......as the additional air slips past the blades the MAP sensor reads that as a decrease in vacuum and sends more fuel into the engine?

Mine is not working right and was hoping to get some help with the way it works. Tried to take apart but was not as simple as I thought to get apart.

I found one of the slides stuck out and all the others in, where they were supposed to be so I cleaned with carb cleaner, but does not idle corectly unless I lean with power comander.

When something is heated it's molecules get exited and the item is perceived to expand. When the molecules relax the item "contracts".

Except in certain cases.

True, and remember that as the object expands, the entire universe must expand to take in the extra volume or be compressed for the duration of the expansion incident. So be careful with that wax, Eugene!

Wax expands when heated.

AHHH HA! So it does lean out when it's cold.

Or......as the additional air slips past the blades the MAP sensor reads that as a decrease in vacuum and sends more fuel into the engine?

Generally speaking, it looks at the Coolant Temperature Sensor, and adjusts the map for coolant temperature.

On a speed-density system, there are basically* (4) things that adjust the amount of fuel thrown in:

-Manifold Pressure

-Intake Air Temp

-Engine RPM

-Coolant Temp

*Yes, the more complex systems go closed loop, and open loop using the O2 sensor, and all that BS, but we dont' go closed loop.

The wax module should just be to make the idle higher, and the sensors and computer should take care of the rest.

Mike