CBR1100XX.org Forum

Broken Bracket

MadOx

My 02 XX fell over on the right side and I have all new parts on it and it looks fine now. But, in the middle of the lower RH cowl, at the bottom of the engine is a tab that is cast in to the engine to mount a threaded fastmener to the cowl. It broke off at the root so it's just hanging right now.

Weld it (tig)? I hate to put that much heat near a gasket, sealing area. Can this metal be welded? Aluminum?

My 02 XX fell over on the right side and I have all new parts on it and it looks fine now. But, in the middle of the lower RH cowl, at the bottom of the engine is a tab that is cast in to the engine to mount a threaded fastmener to the cowl. It broke off at the root so it's just hanging right now.

Weld it (tig)? I hate to put that much heat near a gasket, sealing area. Can this metal be welded? Aluminum?

That mount is part of the oil pan. You can either replace the pan or remove the pan and have it welded.

Mine is broke also. Someday I'll score a cheap oil pan on Ebay.

You can make a little bracket of thin strapping to support the lower cowl, fastening it to one of the oilpan bolts.

Welding the oilpan tab on requires that you pull the pan off. I've never seen JB weld or any of those things work.

On the other hand, lots of folks don't have that little tab any more, and I've never seen anything terrible come of it.

I went and pulled my pan off and had some hack weld the broken part back on. Damn thing broke the second time I mounted the fairing!

Either buy a new pan or just stick the Honda fairing bolt throught the fairing and use a nut to hold it in place.

The faring is pretty sturdy there and even triple digit speeds won't deflect it if it isn't mounted.

I think I will let it sit for a while. Thanks for the info...........

The tab has been missing om my bike since I bought it last year, no problems even at 320 km/h, indicated :-)