CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lead substitute

R1000

When I pulled the cylinder head on the Bird with 60 000 km's on the odometer, I saw that the shape of the valve seats are fine, but that there are a lot of very small black pores with missing material on the seats. Others have noticed the same. Does anyone use lead substitute, e.g. the Redline stuff, to keep the valves and seats in good condition? I’m considering to do this to keep the recent valve job in good condition, but am not sure if it gives some protection or not. Normally this should not be necessary on an engine with aluminum head and hard seats, but it would be nice if it possible to get the valves and seats to last longer stock

I have heard that the gas company use two different formula for winter a summer, I don't know if that was what made my bike's FI light come on, but I used some new stuff that Lucas came out with it is a octane booster I could not tell if it help or not. You can call Lucas, I have talk to them just ask for the tech people.

one other thing I have gone to mid grade gas on this last trip, still can not tell any difference.

I know this is not much help, they are not making our bikes any more, I want to do what ever I can to keep it going. let us know what you find out, Thanks Ron

Yes I'll keep searching for information and also hope that others that have any ideas and knowledge will report in this thread. The intake valves and seats have a hard life almost not being lubricated at all. It may prevent micro-welding to use lead substitute so the metal on valves and seats are not gradually removed as it does now for sure. It is a little strange that a car valve and seat will last for perhaps 300 000 km's or more, while the Birds valves and seats are worn already after 60 000 km. Perhaps the material in a modern car engine valves and seats are better. It is not necessary to use any lead substitute on modern cars. If the lead substitute will increase the life of the Bird engine that will of course be very nice as you said. Since it is a long-term process though to get the valves and seats pitted, it is not easy to verify if lead substitute works or not on the Bird. Another factor is that if one just cruise around at low rpm's, the valves and seats may last for ever, but will wear faster if one use the full power often and for extended periods. I want to decide myself and not have to held back to keep the thing in good condition. I’ve ordered a can of Redline lead substitute today and will start to use it. One small bottle for 20 bucks will last for 4500 km, so the cost is almost negligible.