CBR1100XX.org Forum

APE CCT Installation

madlad

Hi All

I have just purchsed an APE Manual CCT, as my 97 XX with 38K Miles is making a hell of a rattle.

I have looked all over the net and everyone seems to agree that provided installation instructions suck.

I am sure this has been asked before, as I have found some but there seem to be some conficlting answers.

Can anyone give me some simple clear instruction on how to remove my old stock CCT and intsall and adjust the APE version. I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to mechanical things, but I think I should be able to get through it with some decent instructions.

I am hoping that I don have to remove the Cam Cover as the crappy APE instructions say I do

alrighty then, lets get started, on the right side of the engine, the silver thing that sticks out of the black thing. the black thing is the engine, the silver thing is the cct. there is two bolts one on the top of the cct and one on the bottom. there is one in the middle of the cone but it don't matter. take the top and bottom out. should be 8 mm socket i think. I don't think you would have to even take the right side faring off, because mine don't have the pieces that some do so you may have to remove at least the faring bolt by your knee.

to install the manual adjustable cct I would think you would need to make sure it is not to far out and reverse the removal of the stock one. then you got to turn in the manual bolt till it touches the guide and lock down. the amount of the tension on the guide well that is going to be trial and damage.

Is that what it says in the instructions?

Welcome anyway

You can definitely adjust the manual CCT without removing the valve cover. Checking the chain play between the camshaft sprockets is however the recommended method and you only have to do this at the same intervals as checking valve clearances, so it is no extra work except for the first time. It may be a good time to check the valve clearances now anyway?

The easiest thing if you want to cut corners, is just to screw in the manual CCT fully by finger-power and then back it out half a turn and lock the nut. A better and simple way is to remove the engine cover over the cam chain, where the pulse generator is, and adjust the CCT so you can see that the it don’t give constant pressure on the chain, and there is about 1/4 inch free play until dead stop.

Here is "my" method,get it finger tight,light finger tight.Start the engine,play with the adjuster,slightly turn in and out.You`ll get to a point when rpms start to drop .Back off 1/4 of the turn.That`s it.Lock adjuster.

I got this from Sport Rider I think,they`d asked some big shoot AMA engine builder,,,,,

I have 60 k miles on APE adjuster,there was no noticeable wear on cam guides when I pulled cylinder head.

After initial adjustement you don`t have to worry about it untill valve checks when APE method can be used.

Here is "my" method,get it finger tight,light finger tight.Start the engine,play with the adjuster,slightly turn in and out.You`ll get to a point when rpms start to drop .Back off 1/4 of the turn.That`s it.Lock adjuster.

I got this from Sport Rider I think,they ask some big shoot AMA engine builder,,,,,

I have 60 k miles on APE adjuster,there was no noticeable wear on cam guides when I pulled cylinder head.

After initial adjustement you don`t have to worry about it untill valve checks when APE method can be used.

That seems to be a sound method, I'll try that next time. :icon_angel:

I got this from Sport Rider I think,they`d asked some big shoot AMA engine builder,,,,,

Thanks alot, I put it in and used this method of tightening it up and it seems to be running great. The noise has gone.

Thanks again

Thanks all for the help. In and seems to be working great.