CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cornering Light?

JasonW

The cap on the bottom side of the upper fairing (right above the front fender) leads to another round cap on the bottom of the headlight that looks to be a light socket mount. I thought that I heard someone (maybe in the UK?) say that it was for a cornering light. This makes sense since a bulb right up front would throw light around a corner better than the regular low beam, which tends to leave us blind while leaned over. There are even diffusers in the headlight lens right there, so obviously Honda intended on putting a bulb there at one time.

Is this an option that wasn't available in the states, that we might be able to add to our bikes? I really hate that I can't look into a turn very far at night due to the headlight design, and I think that a bulb up there would help.

Also, if they aren't available, would it be possible to add an aftermarket light in that area and maybe hook it up to a BAS of some sort to trigger it while leaned over? This would be much easier than hitting a switch. It would obviously have to be a more sensitive BAS than what is used to kill our bikes, but in theory this would work.

Does anyone know if the parts are available overseas?........or where to get a BAS that is sensitive enough to trigger the light? I would hook the BAS to a switch also so that I could disable the light during the day.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

A parking light!?....... great. :roll:

I was thinking that a single standard halogen bulb mounted straight up would do the trick. I'm no lighting expert, but wouldn't that throw light both ways?....or would it be dim needing a reflector to concentrate the light?

I see what you mean by the mercury switch not working......due to the G-force. Never thought of that.

So maybe a manual switch?.......we all need more distractions while railing a corner, don't we?

Maybe this isn't possible at all.........just a thought.

5 watt parking is too dim for your purpose.

Yes, of course...... there was a bit of sarcasm in my previous post, but I'm not good at that in text. Was kind of hoping the rolling eye smilie would give it away. Sorry.

I was thinking that I DO want cornering lights (maybe "cornering lights" isn't the right term?) at speed, or at least when I'm leaned over on a dark highway or a dim cloverleaf. I just want to be able to look into a corner further than 20' ahead of me when the sliver-of-a-beam slants skyward. It seems like it's too easy to outdrive your headlight when leaned over and the high beam doesn't help since it pretty much shoots straight ahead. Around town and slow corners don't seem to be the problem for me.

Is HID the answer? I can see brighter being better, but the shape of the reflector is what shapes the beam......or am I wrong on this? .....told ya, I'm no expert. :???:

I know, it's probably better that I slow way down around those corners anyway.......

Is HID the answer?

Nope, didn't change things for me. It throws off a helluva beacon of light though. With the high beam on I can see things farther away much more clearly now. But the cornering aspect didn't change. I think you were right, the reflector angles and all that.....

Later, Sean.

Someone has light mounted to their forks. That seems like it would solve the problem, but not look that good.

I thought about mounting a set of the small round high intensity running/fog light under there, but didn't know if under heavy breaking if they would touch my front fender. I would just point them out and down to the side a little bit.

I plan on doing something similar to Warchilds setup of attaching to the mirror mounting brackets. Will probably use a relay off the high beam. If after I get them mounted and aimed for cornering it looks like they won't interfere with other drivers I may put them on a switch.

Still not exactly sure what style light. I need to test one of those projector beams for pattern.

Someone has light mounted to their forks. That seems like it would solve the problem, but not look that good.

I thought about mounting a set of the small round high intensity running/fog light under there, but didn't know if under heavy breaking if they would touch my front fender. I would just point them out and down to the side a little bit.

I don't think you can mount anything under the nose. If you check the specs for front suspension travel, and measure it, that puts the fender very close to the bottom side of the upper cowl.

I bottomed my suspension once on a slight dip in the road that I hit at about 60mph. I weigh @ 210#

I had bought a remote radar detector, and the remote unit was about the size of a computer hard drive (maybe 1" thick) and I decided not to use it after measuring this. I think on full compression, it probably only has a bit more than an inch or so.

Steve

two lights out and up, they dont do much for straight line, but when leaned over in a turn they come down nicley and around the turn. very helpful for night riding.. problem is mounting you wil have to find a place on the fairing to mount, of maybe could figure a way to attach them to those cool mirror spacers. that would be the best and would require no drilling of the fairing... I did a similar thing on my old zx10, but havent had the time or cash to get it done on the bird..but it will happen and wil post pics when I do..