CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wild Fuel Gauge Reading

runner

Not a newbie here...lost my old PWD (don't ask ...).

Anyways, 2nd bird, '98 model. After EVERY fillup, the fuel gauge swings wildly for 25-35 miles. Then it works perfectly until the next fillup.

It's been doing this for a couple of months.

Help....how do I fix this problem?

thanks

I'm betting it's the sending unit in the tank. It's nothing but a big variable resistor. Remove it and clean it with contact cleaner while swinging the float up and down. Check the ohms with a multi-meter as you swing the float up and down. You should get a smooth variation. If not, replace it.

I have a 98 as well and while I dont have the wild swings (I agree w/the connections idea btw) mine does read full hen goes from full to empty in about 55 miles. I just figure the sending unit it getting slow or the float is messed up somehow.

• 4 months later...

my 1997 shows that I can get 100 miles on the 1st 1/4 tank, 80 miles on 2nd 1/4, then from half to empty I get another 50 miles or so. No big deal, i rely on the odometer anyhow, but. . . sure would be nice if it was right. Perhaps this is the beginning of a bigger issue? Enough about me, let us know when you find what your problem was.

Remove sending unit.

Carefully remove the metal box around the unit by bending up the tabs.

You'll find a copper wiper arm that tracks across a coil of wire. Usually the wiper tension needs increased on the wire coils.

You can also move the arm in relation to the float arm to make the gauge read exactly what you want.