CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tapered Steering Bearings Install Question

telliot647

I'm a moron - thanks to all who replied with suggestions, but the only thing I needed was to be told it's an ID10T error. I was trying to put the upper bearing in the lower bearings spot :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_banghead:

I guess all I really needed was that beer with dinner :-)

Thanks again!!!

I'm in the process of putting in my All Balls tapered steering bearings. I'm at the "install lower bearings" part of the process. In trying to get the bearings down, I can't even get them over the ridge that's below the 2 sets of threads on the steering stem. I didn't want to start banging away if I'm doing something wrong.

So the question is - SHOULD I just be banging away? I will be using the 1 1/4" ID pipe method.

I guess I'll be working on the fork rebuild until I hear from someone.

Thanks!!

I haven't done the bearing replacement but there are a bunch of posts on here if you search.

Did you freeze the bearings before trying to put them in? Since everyone has been mentioning this I assume they are not "easy" to put in.

If you're at the point I think you are, it'd be the steering stem you'd want to freeze. Freezing the bearings would be counter productive if you're banging the lower bearings onto the stem.

If you're at the point I think you are, it'd be the steering stem you'd want to freeze. Freezing the bearings would be counter productive if you're banging the lower bearings onto the stem.

Ya I think your right now that I think about it....

Well,since that part goes ON, not IN,I don`t think freezing would be any helpfull.Unless you put steering stem to a freezer,,,,,,,,,,,,, IF anything heating might do something,but you should not really put the blowtorch there,,,,,,,,,,,

I did mine couple weeks ago,it is fairly complex job,you have to know what you are doing,not a job for amatuers.

Might as well start banging with the pipe,once you get bearing over the "lip",the rest should be easy,,,,,,,,,,,,have you installed parts that go into a frame yet ?

We used to shrink bearings into place all the time (millwright). It is really easy and you don't need much fancy in the way of equipment. A small deep fryer is handy, you can pick one up for about $30. Some peanut or other high flash point oil, a coat hanger and some heavy and I do mean heavy cloth gloves. Set fryer to about 350 degrees or so and hang the bearing in the oil. While it is heating, secure the steering stem in a sturdy vise. Fish out the bearing and, using the gloves, guide it into place over the steering stem. If it doesn't fall right on, a couple of gentle taps on the inner race will do the job. You have plenty of time as it will take quite a while for the bearing to cool much or the stem to heat much.

After things have cooled down, a wipe with a rag and then a couple of fingers full of grease and your good to go.