CBR1100XX.org Forum

Water leak

gharknes

First off, check the bottoms of all the water hoses and clamp areas. Then look for any staining on the radiator and on the bottom of the water pump. One you have determined that you have no leaks at those points, ( also check the overflow bottle for any signs of leaks ) it would be time to pressurize the cooling system. I don't know how you would go about this on the XX, but in a car, there are companies that make a pump to attach to the radiator to pressurize the system. Anyway, a few psi ( check the rad cap rating for a guide of how many PSI ) should simulate operating pressure.

Also, check the oil for contamination.

Snug up all of your hose clamps, first.

Then wash everything down really well, and check for leakage both when cold (sitting overnight), and when hot and pressurized. Coolant is more likely to leak at lower temperatures, so your loss may be from a hose clamp that isn't as tight as it should be (I had the same issue on mine a couple of years ago).

Also check to make sure the seals on the pressure cap are good, and if in doubt, change the cap.

How do you know you're losing coolant, and how much are you losing?

Dirt bike trick here....use BABY POWDER/talcom powder in the suspect area (just cover the area in a light coating)...used it for years and it works for me...