CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID bulb dosent want to ignite ?

CxBXR

Recently installed HID kit for the high beam, & it will not ignite (instead it quickly flicker's/flashes 3-5X's) until till about 4-5K RPM's.

Is this normal ? Will that behaivor damage my electrical component's/system ? Thanks in advance.

That is what happens to mine if the motor is not running. Low voltage is the cause.

Should not be doing that with engine on and even when engine is off if the battery is fully charged it should not be a problem. Only happens when there is a low voltage situation.

Not normal here. My McCulloch low beam will flash once, then start warm up with the motor running or not.

Just for grins and giggles, I just went out and set the high and low beams to come on with the key and gave it a try. Both bulbs flashed once then started coming up to full brightness when I turned the key to on without starting the engine. (I see spots before my eyes now.)

You said you have the HID on the high beam. What are you using for your low beam?

Not normal here. My McCulloch low beam will flash once, then start warm up with the motor running or not.

Just for grins and giggles, I just went out and set the high and low beams to come on with the key and gave it a try. Both bulbs flashed once then started coming up to full brightness when I turned the key to on without starting the engine. (I see spots before my eyes now.)

You said you have the HID on the high beam. What are you using for your low beam?

I also have a McCulloch kit, that I might try next by just swapping the box out. Right now Im running a "generic".

I am using stock 55w halogen for low beam ? I only have trouble with the hid buld, I sometimes have to "trigger" it on & off to get it to ignite unless Im at 4-5K on the Tach ( but when it doe's come on : The heaven's shine a path for me at night to drive :o)

This only happens to me when my battery desperately needs a charge.

I keep a battery tender on it.

I recently installed a new battery (about 3 month's ago) mabye I dont have enough CCA, What is stock CCA rated ? Thanks

If I have my bright on (so both bulbs are on) sometimes my low beam will flicker violently unless the bike is running.

Check the conenctions between the bulb and the ballast/ignitor to make sure it's not loose. Also check your batt voltage when running, should be over 13.5volts.

That flashing is very bad for the bulb as far as bulb life goes, every ignition (flash) shortens the life of the bulb. I usually do the 'hold the start button and turn the key' trick to keep mine from flickering.

This only happens to me when my battery desperately needs a charge.

+1

That happened to me. Turned out the battery had shit the bed. New battery installed and all is well !!

Rich

HID needs good voltage to charge and arc. If there is poor voltage, they will flicker multiple times as they try to arc, or not start at all.

Causes could be deficient wiring/connections, or a decaying battery/charging system.

With the bike running, just taking it off idle should supply enough voltage unless there are other prominent draws on the system.

Start checking your running voltage, and do a load test on the battery. Find and fix your problem before it becomes a real inconvenience.

HID needs good voltage to charge and arc. If there is poor voltage, they will flicker multiple times as they try to arc, or not start at all.

Causes could be deficient wiring/connections, or a decaying battery/charging system.

With the bike running, just taking it off idle should supply enough voltage unless there are other prominent draws on the system.

Start checking your running voltage, and do a load test on the battery. Find and fix your problem before it becomes a real inconvenience.

I have a MFS (manual fan switch) that is the culprit, I have a habit of turning it on when I crank the engine ( which is causing extra draw on the electrical system) It is hot here in Texas I like too leave the fan on 90% fo the time. So just to make sure this was the problem I tried it without the fan being on & it arced up instantly no hesitation at all. Thanks again, for all the input very very helpful. Matt