CBR1100XX.org Forum

Going to 18T front, what size rear?

Redbird USA

I am going to change gearing before waiting for them to wear out. I am going to at least an 18 tooth on the front. Anyone heard of anybody going higher than that(18T)? How low can I go on the rear sprocket and stay with stock size chain? I would like to go to the high 30's. Like maybe 38, 39. My bike is crate stock so I want to make sure I don't go too far and hurt the top end. Also don't want to burn the clutch taking off. :icon_think:

I would just like a smoother ride and better mpg, have heard on here that going with the 18 smooths the ride out considerably. Plus boost the gas mileage.

I would appreciate any input! Thanks if advance for anyone who chimes in! :icon_thumbsup:

I just put a 18T with a 45T on the rear. Bike doesn't seem to have any issues on take off even with my fat ass on it. Still don't have to give it any gas to take off. I haven't heard of anyone going smaller than 45T with a 18 front so I can't comment on that but my guess is that if you want into the 30's you'd need a shorter chain.

I just put a 18T with a 45T on the rear. Bike doesn't seem to have any issues on take off even with my fat ass on it. Still don't have to give it any gas to take off. I haven't heard of anyone going smaller than 45T with a 18 front so I can't comment on that but my guess is that if you want into the 30's you'd need a shorter chain.

Probably will need to change chain if I go into the 30's. Just wasn't sure.

I'd replace the chain but that's just me..

If your cheep you can just shorten it.

I dont think you can get a 30's rear sprocket in steel, you will have to go with aluminum (vortex, renthal) & will not last as long a steel (about half or less).

Yeah, the one that I was looking at in the 30's was an aluminum alloy(Renthal). I am on my third Bird and have never kept one long enough to wear out the chain or sprockets. How long, on normal wear, do sprockets and a chain last?

I'd replace the chain but that's just me..

If your cheep you can just shorten it.

I do tend to cut corners. But I would replace in this case, thanks!

Yeah, the one that I was looking at in the 30's was an aluminum alloy(Renthal). I am on my third Bird and have never kept one long enough to wear out the chain or sprockets. How long, on normal wear, do sprockets and a chain last?

Depends on how well the chain/sprockets are maintained. With steel sprockets and a good quality chain you should be able to get 20,000 miles..

Depends on how well the chain/sprockets are maintained. With steel sprockets and a good quality chain you should be able to get 20,000 miles..

How about on the stock? I have 11K on mine now with no sign of wear. Only had it since 9500, last September. I keep PJ1 on it.

Thanks

How about on the stock? I have 11K on mine now with no sign of wear. Only had it since 9500, last September. I keep PJ1 on it.

Thanks

My stock chain and front sprocket lasted 25k miles. My replacement chain is at 17k miles. The rear sprocket has has about 42k miles on it and still looks good.

Just go to an 18 tooth front and leave the rear at stock 45. No chain length change needed.

The rear Honda sprocket is good for 2 chains (40k miles)

Don't even think of trying an aluminum sprocket. You'll destroy it in less then 10k miles. Plus they cost more.

I'm hoping the one tooth up on the front gets me more chain mileage.

Just go to an 18 tooth front and leave the rear at stock 45. No chain length change needed.

The rear Honda sprocket is good for 2 chains (40k miles)

Don't even think of trying an aluminum sprocket. You'll destroy it in less then 10k miles. Plus they cost more.

I'm hoping the one tooth up on the front gets me more chain mileage.

Could not have put it any better. I would think going into the thirties might change your geometry some, too, but that's just a guess.

You said in your opening post you're after "smoother ride and better MPG" right?

I doubt you'll notice a "smoother" ride with an 18 tooth front, a little better MPG yes. The mileage increase won't be substantial probably somewhere around 1-3 MPG.

One thing you will notice almost immediately is the whine. The stock counter sprockets have rubber bushings that dampen vibration. The after market ones do not.

My opinion is if you put a 30 something on the rear and an 18 on the front you'll be taking them off within a week. The loss of low end will be very noticeable. You may even lose top end because the stock HP may not be enough the overcome wind resistance at high speed with such tall gears.

That brings up the question of if anyone has any first hand knowledge as to whether the 18 tooth front adds any max speed on a stock bird. Anyone do any top speed runs stock bike/18tooth?

Even though your bike is stock, if your goal is the highest MPG possible, you might consider buying a PCIII. I say this because my bike stock ran pretty darn rich. I have an 01'. Just a thought to keep in mind. You'll also possibly achieve the "smoothness" you mentioned in the throttle response.

As for aftermarket sprocket whine,,,,,,, I think my bike is the king of that. It sounds almost like it's got a blower on it. At first it drove me nuts, but I have learned to ignore it. Speaking of sprockets, I just got a Renthal 44t alloy. I don't care too much about it only lasting 10K miles. I mostly use the bike at the track.