CBR1100XX.org Forum

How much longer lowering link

Rubber

Two inches is a good bit. Are you going drag racing? Sunday night, I might be able to give you the answer to a one inch drop but I am not sure that you can just double that for two inches. Maybe the smart guys wills pipe up.

Just got the bike and looking at the suspension components, I'm not even sure which member would get lenghtened/shortened. Far different suspension than my KLR.

Even a 1/2 inch to 1 inch drop would do wonders. :icon_biggrin:

I don't know if this is correct or not but did you see this?

I, too, have a Smuggler and, although lower than the stock seat, its width at the front makes it effectively longer to the ground.

HOWEVER... there is a pretty simple fix. The XX has triangular shaped linkage plates which attach to the rear shock. If you remove them, you'll notice the distance between the bolt holes are not the same. By flipping the triangular pieces and reinstalling them you lower the rear of the bike by a hair over 1-inch.

A vertically-challenged friend of mine with a Smuggler on a Blackbird simply rotated those triangular linkage plates and his inseam problem was solved. You can, of course, compensate by lowering the triple trees in the front or... not. He didn't readjust the triple trees and his bike handled great.

the distance between the bolt holes are not the same. By flipping the triangular pieces and reinstalling them

If I remember right with the KLR, in order to lower the bike I have to lenghten the linkage?

With this 3-point bracket, which distance am I trying to lenghten?

I'd like to machine my own rear suspension lowering link...

Put down the catalog and lower your 'Bird the easy way!

Look at the bottom of the rear shock. You'll notice a pair of triangular brackets. Well, the hole centers are not equidistant on all three sides. By rotating the triangles and using the hole centers 1/4" shorter than stock, you'll lower the bike a hair over 1"! I think you can drill new holes to get the drop you want.

Check out this thread from 1/2 way down Page-1 and onto Page-2:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=46253