CBR1100XX.org Forum

Frame & Tank getting hot after D&D 4>1 ?

CxBXR

Hi,

Finished installing the D&D 4 into 1 full exhaust, then took it for a test drive (~45miles) got back & noticed the frame & tank were very hot ! also noticed the tank being very hot between my leg's :icon_evilgrin: while riding. I never experienced this before with the stock exhaust. Is this normal ? Should I be worried :icon_think: ?

I also noticed the D&D "buzzing noise" :icon_frown: through the helmet a cruising speed (~4k-5k-RPM).

The bike difinately seem's to pull harder I cannot keep traction in 1st gear :icon_twisted: now just spin's under hard accell. (stock gearing).

**Edit: it is a '99 model

No rejetting, its a 99 and therefore EFI. Needs a PC to fix. Probably not all that lean anyway as the stock mapping tends to be on the rich side of things through most of the RPM/throttle curve.

More likely the thinner walls of the header are allowing a bit more heat all up under the cowl and fairing. That and the collector seems a bit closer to the frame and now doesn't split into two separate pipes so the heat is a bit more concentrated on the right side.

No rejetting, its a 99 and therefore EFI. Needs a PC to fix. Probably not all that lean anyway as the stock mapping tends to be on the rich side of things through most of the RPM/throttle curve.

More likely the thinner walls of the header are allowing a bit more heat all up under the cowl and fairing. That and the collector seems a bit closer to the frame and now doesn't split into two separate pipes so the heat is a bit more concentrated on the right side.

Wow... completely missed the year!

Mike

The D&D header out Weighed the Stocker alot maybe double , so I dont think it is thin walled.

I think the collector is probably too close like shovel mentioned or maybe even touching the frame , I will have to check it today when I get a chance, all I know right now is that frame & tank was scary hot ! Thanks for the diagnostic's.

If i`m not mistaken stock headers are stainless steel (EFI),while D&D is a mild chromed steel.Most likely this is the answer.Mild steel is good for stoves,harleys,etc.It just pulls much more heat from exhaust gases then stainless steel or titanium.Of course heat has to go somewhere,,,,,,,,,,

I`ll spare you my personal opinion on D&D :icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

Well it turn's out that the header is rubbing/touching the frame & is the cause for most of the heat. I will be locating some High temp bushing material, & I will make a wedge shape & tap it in between the frame & collector, which should help lower the frame temp some, I hope

This was the D&D show&go package buyer beware ?

Loosen header to head bolts.

Apply prying device between header tubes and frame.

Pry till adequate clearence is achieved.

If all fails, 5 lb. hand sledge will work also.

Retighten bolts.

If this method does not give satisfactory clearence, substitute 'heat wrench' in place of hand sledge.

Massive infusion of alcoholic beverages might be needed for this operation.