CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bridgestone BT021

R1000

I've put about 1500 miles on the rear BT-021 so far, about 500 of which were in the extreme twisties of the western NC mountains.

As far as grip - I like!!! You can really tell that the softer sides have some serious bite, and can even see/feel on the tire where it transitions to the harder middle portion. Perfect for my needs.

FWIW, I am running the BT-021 rear with a new Metz M1 front, just because I can consistently get ~10K from M1's on the Bird, and have had nothing but praise for their grip.

So, if the BT-021 (@$123) last as long or longer than the rear Z6 that I usually run (@$150), I'm a Bridgestone fan!!

• 5 months later...

Update:

I squeezed 7,800 miles from that rear BT-021 - VERY pleased with this tire! I ride a lot of slab, and was amazed by the wear; and also a lot of western Carolina twisties, and was amazed by the grip (wet and dry).

Did not hesitate to purchase another - a rear BT-021 is essentially everything that the PR-2 claims to be, yet is $50 less... :icon_biggrin:

FWIW, don't use a FRONT BT-021 on the XX - they don't wear well with heavier SPORT-touring bikes... Again, I was happy running an M-1 up front, just switched to an M-3; so far so good...

I switched a few months ago to the new Dunlop Roadsmart. This is the direct competitor for the BT021 and such others.

I really like it! It is better than any other tire I've mounted on the BB, including sport-tires!

The tests are also very good, so I guess they have a winner there.... I don't know about the pricing in the USA, here they are all about the same price.

I switched a few months ago to the new Dunlop Roadsmart. This is the direct competitor for the BT021 and such others.

I really like it! It is better than any other tire I've mounted on the BB, including sport-tires!

The tests are also very good, so I guess they have a winner there.... I don't know about the pricing in the USA, here they are all about the same price.

Well,before you declare Roadsmart a winner I would suggest waiting till you put soma mileage on them.That is main thing with Dunlops in general,,,,,,,they feel fine brand new only to turn into a turd couple thousand miles later.

• 1 month later...

Well,before you declare Roadsmart a winner I would suggest waiting till you put soma mileage on them.That is main thing with Dunlops in general,,,,,,,they feel fine brand new only to turn into a turd couple thousand miles later.

OK. I've done about 4000 miles on them now, and they still look and feel brandnew! There is hardly any wear visible at all.

I did a trackday on them May 1st, and I was the fastest of all riders in the rain. Nobody could follow me, not even the sportsriders and Marshalls......

I will probably not be making much more miles, since this BB is for sale (I have a younger one also). The new one is on the new Pirelli Diablo Rosso, bacause I also want to try that one.

Probably in August/September I will switch to a set of the new Bridgestone BT016, and give that one a try......

What kind of speeds are you running with this tire, And how does it feel at top end speed,With a speed rating of 168. I was looking at a set but the rating bothers me since i run up and over that speed easy and often.

• 1 month later...

021 update.

Front,not so good.Put fresh 021 on the front before my mid June Rockies trip.5000 miles later it is basically bold on the shoulders,or in the contact area when the bike is cranked over.The center is not so bad,just a nice flat spot.

I do those trips every year,same bike,load,rider,speeds etc,under those circumstances Pilot Road would have 3-5k miles left.

Rear.The tire already had 3400 miles prior to this trip,and fairly big flat spot in the middle,it did not look like was gonna last extra 4-5 k miles,I`ve chickened out and put fresh Pilot Road.I`m gonna reuse that 021 later for local,short distance riding.

Conclusion.The front 021 has a nice handling characteristics,steering is very neutral and linear thru the entire lean angle.Does not stand up much under trail braking.Even when the tire is worn out.Seems to have little more extreme edge grip the PR.

Overall they are nice tires,but their durability don`t pass my standards for Sport Touring tires.

Back to Michelins.Bridgestones proved to be false economy in my case.

BTW. I absolutely love Bridestones slicks that I used on last two track days.Much better the Michelines.

Go figure. :icon_confused: