CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bridgestone BT021

R1000

Have any of you tried the new Bridgestone BT021 sport-touring tyre yet?

Nope. Heard they're good. Just put 2k on the Stradas and am THRILLED with them.

I don`t think they are available here in States yet,Bridgestone have improved big time lately I˛m willing to try them.One needs to look at Moto Gp,they have been bitch slapping Michelin lately,,,,,,,,,,,

As a side note,Metzeler scores higher then Pilot in this German magazine test,,,,,,,,,,,,how fucking predictable,,,,,,,,gimmie a break, :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes: you have to be retarded to put sporttouring tire on something like gixxer 1000,,,,,,,,, :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

those guys are bunch of idiots,,,,,,,,

I don`t think they are available here in States yet,Bridgestone have improved big time lately I˛m willing to try them.One needs to look at Moto Gp,they have been bitch slapping Michelin lately,,,,,,,,,,,

They are available in the U.S. Cyclegear sells them.

I've been running on a new set of BT021 today. As always with new tyres, the bike feels real fine but I can definitely say they are more turn willing than the Metzeler Z6 that I have used before even when they where new. The grip is good, no problems to go airborne front and the rear has dual compound so it should hold the bike well during leans. The front tyre is not dual compound that I'm aware of, but it has softer rubber. I was able to do full leans directly, without pushing the bike of course with the new tyres. The same lean angle on the heavily worn Z6 front and an odd worn Michelin Power 2CT, 190 wide..., was directly scaring and to be avoided. I've got a new bike now with the BT021 :icon_biggrin:

• 3 months later...
I've been running on a new set of BT021 today. As always with new tyres, the bike feels real fine but I can definitely say they are more turn willing than the Metzeler Z6 that I have used before even when they where new. The grip is good, no problems to go airborne front and the rear has dual compound so it should hold the bike well during leans. The front tyre is not dual compound that I'm aware of, but it has softer rubber. I was able to do full leans directly, without pushing the bike of course with the new tyres. The same lean angle on the heavily worn Z6 front and an odd worn Michelin Power 2CT, 190 wide..., was directly scaring and to be avoided. I've got a new bike now with the BT021 :icon_biggrin:

Any feedback on how long the BT021 lasts on a Bird compared to the Z6?? thx! :icon_biggrin:

Any feedback on how long the BT021 lasts on a Bird compared to the Z6?? thx! :icon_biggrin:

I have used them used them for about 6000 km's now and both the rear and front appears to be about half-worn. They will do a full 7 month season for my daily commuting including two track days.

According to a recent test in the Swedish Bike magazine the BT021 front will last almost 50% longer than the Z6 and the BT021 rear will go 70% of the distance vs. Z6 rear.

I have used them used them for about 6000 km's now and both the rear and front appears to be about half-worn. They will do a full 7 month season for my daily commuting including two track days.

According to a recent test in the Swedish Bike magazine the BT021 front will last almost 50% longer than the Z6 and the BT021 rear will go 70% of the distance vs. Z6 rear.

Hmmm - I get about 6-6.5K miles (~10K Km) currently out of my Z6 rear... So if these last ~12K Km and grip as well as/better than a Z-6, might be another contender - along with the Pilot Road 2..

Too many damn good choices that came out this year, LOL! :icon_wall:

:icon_angel:

FWIW; How do the 021's feel/grip in the real tight turns (feelers and fairing scraping)??

A lot of my weekend riding is in the mountains of western North Carolina - been more than happy with the grip the Z6 provides there.. So, if the 021 will grip as well as the Z6 in ultra-tight twistie conditions, I may be sold!

thx!

These were the scoring that was published in the Swedish Magazine.

Dry

1. Z6

2.Pirelli Diablo Strada

3. Bridgestone BT021

4. Michelin PR II (it got the highest score of all tyres for grip on straight and curves but was #4 due to a low score for being shimmy)

5. Continental Road Attack

Wet

1. Michelin PR II

2. The Pirelli

3. Z6

4. Continental

5. BT021

Wear

1. Michelin

2. Z6

3. Pirelli

4. Bridgestone

5. Continental

I will test a set of PR II next time on the bird.

FWIW; How do the 021's feel/grip in the real tight turns (feelers and fairing scraping)??

A lot of my weekend riding is in the mountains of western North Carolina - been more than happy with the grip the Z6 provides there.. So, if the 021 will grip as well as the Z6 in ultra-tight twistie conditions, I may be sold!

thx!

I have got the impression that Z6's are slightly grippier than BT021 even though none of them have failed to me. I've got minor slides both on Z6 and BT021. Z6's rubber compound is reported to be almost as soft as the better sport tyres. BT021 handles better in turns to me but I can't say they grip better than Z6.

I have got the impression that Z6's are slightly grippier than BT021 even though none of them have failed to me. I've got minor slides both on Z6 and BT021. Z6's rubber compound is reported to be almost as soft as the better sport tyres. BT021 handles better in turns to me but I can't say they grip better than Z6.

Oops, should have made it clear - I'm looking at the BT021 for the rear only - I wonder how your impression would be if you ran a softer tire up front and the BT021 in the rear..

For instance, I currently run the Metz M1 front/Z6 rear combo... Never, ever slips (my chicken strips are about 1/16" wide)... I'm guessing that a BT-021 with a softer Bridgestone up front would bring the overall combo's grip close to or surpassing the Z6/M1 combo, with better rear tire mileage? And for a helluva lot cheaper as well...

With that out there, what is the next softest Bridgestone compared to a BT021 (i.e., something comparable to a Metz M-1)?

Aah, I see. Yes the BT021 are very cheap, like 65% of the price for Michelin so it is a factor to consider. I believe your idea of concept is sound, to achieve both grip and economy. I'm not really updated on Bridgestones tyre program but you could look for information about the BT002 front tyre that have minimum thread and is much more track oriented. I wouldn't fear mixing brands though, like using ultra grippy Metzeler Racetech front and BT021 rear. If one can have the front planted under any situation and just get a little rear slide at occasions one will still do fine compared to loose the front.

Aah, I see. Yes the BT021 are very cheap, like 65% of the price for Michelin so it is a factor to consider. I believe your idea of concept is sound, to achieve both grip and economy. I'm not really updated on Bridgestones tyre program but you could look for information about the BT002 front tyre that have minimum thread and is much more track oriented. I wouldn't fear mixing brands though, like using ultra grippy Metzeler Racetech front and BT021 rear. If one can have the front planted under any situation and just get a little rear slide at occasions one will still do fine compared to loose the front.

:icon_biggrin: Yip - myself and many others in the States run the M1/Z6 for just the reasons you mentioned. Maybe I'll try the rear BT-021 rear and M1 front for now while I research a comparable Bridgestone front - might even love it!

As far as finding the right "softer" Bridgestone front, something similar to a Pilot Power or Metz M1 would be preferable to something truly track-oriented.. Just need a "Sport" front Bridgestone, between "Track" and "Sport-touring".

Thanks for your responses - very helpful!!

Well, I finally just said "screw it" and ordered a rear BT-021 and another Metz M1 for the front hoop..

On paper, the benefits are:

- Rear BT021's are significantly less expensive than a Z6 - and MUCH less than a PR2!

- supposedly more rear tire milage (versus the Z6 I used before)

- supposedly, with a sticky tire up front, will have the same grip as the M1/Z6 combo.

We'll see what the real world says about those last 2 points... :icon_think:

:icon_cool:

Latest news:

Bridgestone agrees with complaining customers that the BT021 will not last long on heavier bikes. They are now refunding part of the selling-price to the customers. We have reports that the front will last about 50% less compaired to the old BT020 when riding agressively on heavy bikes like the Pan Europe (ST1100 & 1300), ZZR1400, FJR1300, Blackbird and others....

Most users like the tire, but are not pleased with the longitivety. Lighter bikes have no problems to speak of.....

Hi Franz, thanks for the info, I'll go for PR II next time. The BT021's handles very well though and is pleasure to ride, very linear in curves.

I have now noticed that the front tyre seems to wear faster than the rear on my BT021's, and it should normally be the opposite since the bike has a lot of power and often is driven hard.

BTW, I'm very pleased with the Hyperpro 042 rear shock that I bought from your company :-) It works great and is so easy to adjust when needed.

Latest news:

Bridgestone agrees with complaining customers that the BT021 will not last long on heavier bikes. They are now refunding part of the selling-price to the customers. We have reports that the front will last about 50% less compaired to the old BT020 when riding agressively on heavy bikes like the Pan Europe (ST1100 & 1300), ZZR1400, FJR1300, Blackbird and others....

Most users like the tire, but are not pleased with the longitivety. Lighter bikes have no problems to speak of.....

Well, hopefully it's just a case of European vs. US roads - I know several Duc ST3 riders that ride pretty aggressively that got 7K+ miles from the BT-021... All I can do is try 'em and see, and don't mind doing so for the price.

FWIW, the PR2's in the states are ridiculous - over $50USD more than the BT-021 ($170USD vs $120USD)

Latest news:

Well, hopefully it's just a case of European vs. US roads - I know several Duc ST3 riders that ride pretty aggressively that got 7K+ miles from the BT-021... All I can do is try 'em and see, and don't mind doing so for the price.

FWIW, the PR2's in the states are ridiculous - over $50USD more than the BT-021 ($170USD vs $120USD)

I guess the ST3 has less weight on the front, or your roads differ from ours (like you said). Also the price difference is really big in the USA. Here in Holland the price is just about the same between Bridgestone and Michelin. Only Metzeler and Pirelli are a bit more expensive.

I just replaced worn out front PR with 021 on my G/F yzf1000r.

Some first impressions :

-very easy to mount

-nice and light,neutral turning and linear steering at slow and mid speed,lighter then PR.

-under very heavy trail braking steering is still fairly light and linear,tire really shines here.Some bikes/tires get pig heavy and require lots of muscle to steer during this maneuver.

-very good bump absortion,better then PR ?, I don`t really know, it is not fair to compare worn out rubber with new one,,,,but it seems it is better then PR

- plentyfull of grip, there is something wrong with your riding if you loose the front on 021

-steering gets fairly heavy at higher speeds,I got up about 130,needs higher effort then PR.021 has similar profile,height to PR,I guess 021 is heavier or grows/grows more at speed then PR.

If I get decent,PR like mileage from 021,,,,,,it is gonna be all good.021 -233$ for set,PR2 -300.

Hi Franz, thanks for the info, I'll go for PR II next time. The BT021's handles very well though and is pleasure to ride, very linear in curves.

I have now noticed that the front tyre seems to wear faster than the rear on my BT021's, and it should normally be the opposite since the bike has a lot of power and often is driven hard.

BTW, I'm very pleased with the Hyperpro 042 rear shock that I bought from your company :-) It works great and is so easy to adjust when needed.

Thanks for the update on the shock. I bought for myself the new 3D-shock, and I really love it. The only problem is that I just increase my speed untill the bike gets unstabile again. So I end up riding with the same feeling, just a lot faster..... :icon_redface:

Now I have to take everything of the bike, since I just bought a newer one.....

Thanks for the update on the shock. I bought for myself the new 3D-shock, and I really love it. The only problem is that I just increase my speed untill the bike gets unstabile again. So I end up riding with the same feeling, just a lot faster..... :icon_redface:

Does the new 3D-shock handles significantly better than a brand new 042-shock or is it basically better in the sense it has a generic style that will fit more bikes? Perhaps your old shock needed service. I believed that with a new top of the line 042-shock the speed is set by head and skills and is not limited by the shocks performance.

Does the new 3D-shock handles significantly better than a brand new 042-shock or is it basically better in the sense it has a generic style that will fit more bikes? Perhaps your old shock needed service. I believed that with a new top of the line 042-shock the speed is set by head and skills and is not limited by the shocks performance.

I have never tried the older 042-shock, but since the technology is about the same there should be not much difference. Before I was running the original Honda (Showa) shock with Hyperpro spring and riser. Yes, my old shock was worn out (100.000km), so the difference was huge.....

I have never tried the older 042-shock, but since the technology is about the same there should be not much difference. Before I was running the original Honda (Showa) shock with Hyperpro spring and riser. Yes, my old shock was worn out (100.000km), so the difference was huge.....

OK thanks, that makes sense. A worn out stock shock will not do any good to the bird. I was wrong referring to the 042-shock, I have the version with external reservoir for compression adjustment, which is the 041-shock. I was in the same situation as you, the stock Showa shock was in bad condition and the new Hyperpro 041 did a huge difference. The only thing to watch up for now is to have a good rear tire and the bike will be rock steady. Sometimes I feel minor movements from the bikes rear but this is only when the tires (BT021) are pushed when cold.