CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need advice on turbo kits

kwikXX

Hey..all you turbo charged bird owners. I'm looking for a little advise on turbo kits and set ups. I figure why should I re-invent the wheel (turbo) when someone else has already learned what to do...and NOT to do.

ANY advise would be appreciated!

Thanks, John

My suggestion would be to avoid hahn and look at MC Express. There is a big difference in quality.

Do motor work if you can, i.e. pistons, rods, crank.

Get an intercooler.

Seriously consider water injection.

My suggestion would be to avoid hahn and look at MC Express. There is a big difference in quality.

Do motor work if you can, i.e. pistons, rods, crank.

Get an intercooler.

Seriously consider water injection.

That list look's to be expensive mod's ? but I totally agree with XX4me since he has hand's on expereince with a turbo modified xx.

But what about a thicker head gasket (Is there a base gasket on the

XX?) ? That alone with an intercooler you would be good for ~300hp ? Just tossing a couple idea's out there, anyone ?

That list look's to be expensive mod's ? but I totally agree with XX4me since he has hand's on expereince with a turbo modified xx.

But what about a thicker head gasket (Is there a base gasket on the

XX?) ? That alone with an intercooler you would be good for ~300hp ? Just tossing a couple idea's out there, anyone ?

There is no base gasket on the XX.

Seems like I remember someone else doing the thick head gasket route, but not sure how well it worked out.

Hey thanks for the heads up on Hahn there XX4me. I really hadn't thought much about doing engine mods...just wanted to run a few pounds of boost...enought to piss of a 'busa rider or two. :icon_twisted:

I saw something about an American Turbo Systems AEROCHARGER® Turbo online, but there isn't much info about it, or even where to call and ask qustions and order the dang thing.

XX4me you recommend MC express...I will look for them on the web.

Question...Do I HAVE to do the engine mods??? :icon_think:

Thanks a bunch.

Nope you don't, and feel free to PM me if your quest gets really serious. There are quite a few people here or on "the other forum" who have experience with turbos. Most of us will be happy to assist in what ever way we can.

What year is your bird?

Nope you don't, and feel free to PM me if your quest gets really serious. There are quite a few people here or on "the other forum" who have experience with turbos. Most of us will be happy to assist in what ever way we can.

What year is your bird?

It is a 2002, fuel injected. I have a power commander. I'm hoping that some one has a "map" for a turbo. Otherwise, I can take it to Orlando and get a custom map done.

Thanks for the help thus far...

I did quite a bit of research before turbocharging my BB and might be able to shed some light on the process. Starting from the obvious, plan on spending $5000.00, and up.

If you have a carbed bike, MCExpress is, IIRC, your only choice and delivery, if they will build it, could take up to a year. The Aerocharger kits were developed and marketed by a friend of mine in the late 90's. His name is Mark Moisan and he marketed the kits under the name American Turbo Systems. He sold me the very last kit he had and it was all custom (different Turbo, intercooler, exhaust, etc), built for his use but never installed. The weak link with the consumer kits was the Aerocharger Turbo, as they would fail if overboosted. Aerocharger went out of business and I don't believe any complete units or parts are available.

If you have a FI bike, Elton Fish Racing sells his kits installed only. I think he's in the Chicago area. Get in touch with Elixxer about them. Jack Frost Racing from England will ship an entire kit here. It costs about $7500.00 and makes about 300 HP. He recommends rods and pistons to stand up to the HP and supplies a map for larger injectors only, which are part of his kit. RCC Turbos in Canada makes a fine kit for Busa's and a coupla others, but has none for the BB. Richard said he would need the bike there to build a custom kit and it would cost $6500.00.

Forrest mentioned a thick head gasket...That was on my bike. I had Cometic manufacture a thicker gasket to lower the CR for more boost safer. In my opinion, this was a neccessity. I'd really prefer not having to split the cases and putting in rods and pistons and if you melt a piston, thats what you're faced with.

Be happy to try to answer any questions you guys may have....Hank

It is a 2002, fuel injected. I have a power commander. I'm hoping that some one has a "map" for a turbo. Otherwise, I can take it to Orlando and get a custom map done.

Thanks for the help thus far...

You WILL need to get it dyno'd. You can not safely run some off the shelf map. The risk of a lean condition is too great.

Another option that I feel is well worth it is a Wide Band O2 meter. Get the kind with data logging and you can essentially map it yourself. Then use the dyno to fine tune it.

If you have to get it dynod make sure you watch the guy doing the dyno or better yet get in the booth with him. It would be unfortunate to have some yahoo whack the throttle wide open on the first run without paying attention to the A/F and melt the pistons before you even get a chance to have fun.

Buy a PC II and hook it inline with your PCIII. Use the PCII to remove a few degrees of timing. Use the PCIII for fuel adjustments.

Like I said in an earlier post you r-e-a-l-l-y should get a water injection system. It may very well save your motor if the A/F isn't exactly right.

Buy a PC II and hook it inline with your PCIII. Use the PCII to remove a few degrees of timing. Use the PCIII for fuel adjustments.

You can do this??????????

Cool!

That's how I have mine set up.

I even tested it by pulling lots of timing out at the top end and sure enough the power dropped off considerably.

That's how I have mine setup, as well.

Why? I thought the PC units alouded you to adjust timing and fuel?

so why one for timing and one for fuel?

That's how I have mine setup, as well.

Why? I thought the PC units alouded you to adjust timing and fuel?

so why one for timing and one for fuel?

What I understand, the pc2 allows timing adjustments and fools the injectors with changes to the map, throttle position, ignition, and aap,(I forgot what that is,,,need more coffee) .{iddit,,,,,aap is baro}

The pc3 does individual injector changes, but not timing.

Does it do it with dwell time, guys?

It's good that I have made my fender a trunk.