CBR1100XX.org Forum

Are new tires slick?

BadAndy

Hi Gang,

I bought my '00 XX last year with 1700 miles on it and the factory rubber was fine. Well Im up to 8700 miles and my rear has a pretty yellow stripe down the center. The yellow doesn't match the Titanium so I decided to get a new tire. A new Avon 56 is on its way to me now. YIPPIE!

Are new tires slippery? Will I have to take sandpaper to it before I crank it over on its side at 90 mph?

Thanks,

BadAndy

I have wiped new bike tires down with a rag full of lacquer thinner. It takes off the mold release that lurks on the rubber.

And relieves you of (some of) the worry about low-siding the bike the 1st time you pull the trigger in the middle of a turn.

Oh.... I shouldn't..... but here goes....

New tires are NOT slick. Do you think manufactures would sell "slick" tires to society as litigious as it is? Racers put brand new tires on their bikes and run WOT all the time with no issue. Now... there can be grease and grime from the shop on new tires, but the real reason a break in period is recommended is because new tires can behave differently than what a ride is used to... so they recommend you get used to the tire before going WOT.

From Dunlap's website..

Q: How much run-in should I give a new tire?

A: When new tires are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been achieved.

This is necessary for a number of reasons. Replacements for worn tires with different patterns and construction will not react the same. Also, a new tire is stiffer than an old tire. The new tire has a rounder tread profile, different contact patch and "lean-over edge" than the worn profile of an old tire. The new tire will also not react the same in combination with its remaining tire.

Carrying out the required run-in will allow you to become accustomed to the "feel" of the new tires and tire combinations, so you are better able to achieve optimum road grip for use in high speed, high acceleration and handling situations.

From Bridgestone...

Break-in Period

In order for your new tire(s) to provide optimum performance, tires should be ridden very cautiously for the first 100 miles in order for the tread surface to be “Scuffed-In” and work properly. Directly after new tires are mounted, sudden acceleration, maximum braking and hard cornering must be avoided. This will allow the rider to adjust to the “Feel” and handling characteristics of the new tire and for the new tire to be “Scuffed-In” correctly in order to achieve optimum grip level.

So, yes, it is advised that you get to know your tires a bit before riding them hard, but they are not slick. I have ridden many new pairs of tires to the very edges right after mounting them and have never had an issue, ymmv.

Just had my new Diablo Strada rear put on this morning and then rode it 22 miles to work....mostly freeway. It didn't feel slick at all. I kept the bike under 110 just to be on the safe side. :icon_whistle:

Justin,

I will agree on some tires, but disagree on others... Because of the texture on Powers, I've RAILED them from cold, when I first put them on with no problems.

The Diablo Strada rear, on the other hand, started to over-steer on me the first time I had it over on each side. It was noticably slicker than after it got scrubbed in.

Mike

From Bridgestone...

Break-in Period

In order for your new tire(s) to provide optimum performance, tires should be ridden very cautiously for the first 100 miles in order for the tread surface to be "Scuffed-In" and work properly. Directly after new tires are mounted, sudden acceleration, maximum braking and hard cornering must be avoided. This will allow the rider to adjust to the "Feel" and handling characteristics of the new tire and for the new tire to be "Scuffed-In" correctly in order to achieve optimum grip level.

Why do you think they say ride cautiusly for 100miles in order for the tread to be "Scuffed-In"?

Every new tire I've seen has had a coating on the that isn't as sticky as the rubber under it.  This may not be true to track tires as I've never had my hands on any new ones of them.

Tire manufactures aren't going to tell you, hey watch your brand new tires, they might be slippery.   Besides if they admited that think how many claims would be agenst them for dumbass wrecking there bikes.

Like I said...... it's the mold release agent that insures that the tire does not stick in the mold...sorta like PAM for tires.

I do believe that race tires have it removed before shipment.

Hi Gang,

I bought my '00 XX last year with 1700 miles on it and the factory rubber was fine. Well Im up to 8700 miles and my rear has a pretty yellow stripe down the center. The yellow doesn't match the Titanium so I decided to get a new tire. A new Avon 56 is on its way to me now. YIPPIE!

Are new tires slippery? Will I have to take sandpaper to it before I crank it over on its side at 90 mph?

Riiiiiiiiight. C'mon. Fess up. You've never even used the side-stand, have you?

Well, the mold release agent is there but it is mostly in the grooves in the tread and what is on the actual friction surface will be gone within a couple of turns of the wheel under load.

What is required is to heat cycle the tire a time or two to condition the surface rubber. This is best accomplished in a deserted parking lot, or with a lap or two on a track. Just run the tires in figure 8 patterns with increasing lean angles as you get comfortable with them. Add the lean and power gradually and you can "wear in" a set of tires in no more than 15 minutes.

Last set I changed on my BMW 1100S, I broke in right in the dealer's parking lot. Kinda funny as it was a combined BMW, Yamaha, Ducati, HD dealer. The HD guys were all standing around and pointing while I rode 18 foot and then down to 12 foot circles in the parking lot, first in one direction then the other. By the end of the session, I was dragging the outside edges of my boots and the tires were scrubbed to the edge on the rear and within 1/2" of the edge on the front.

Then I rode over to W. VA to play on the back roads.

Justin,

I will agree on some tires, but disagree on others... Because of the texture on Powers, I've RAILED them from cold, when I first put them on with no problems.

The Diablo Strada rear, on the other hand, started to over-steer on me the first time I had it over on each side. It was noticably slicker than after it got scrubbed in.

Mike

I would have to agree there as last Aug I put a PP front on and it was pissing rain but she still felt better than the worn/cupped D208 that was on before that :icon_surprised: Then in Nov I put on a new PR rear and just went out pretty much hell for leather and she was fine - stuck like shit to a blanket :icon_biggrin: Then ~ a month ago I put on 005 Shinko's f+r and they felt very slippery straight out of the shop ( in fact still do when cold :icon_surprised: ) I certainly don't feel like Icould jump on and go hammer and tongs straight away with the Shinko's :icon_think: