CBR1100XX.org Forum

Newbie; frame's really hot

Rollie

Hey everyone, I'm Rollie. I just bought a 98 Bird with 28000 miles on the clock. Beautiful bike that looks like it's really been loved. The guy that sold it to me is a custom chopper builder. The bike has supposedly a Borla full 4-2-1 system, but I couldn't find anything on that on the Borla website. Has anyone else ever heard of a full Borla system? It's got an undertail which really cleans up the back and a set of Heli bar (which has 2 rust spots on it, the only rust in the whole bike). He says he changed the stator and battery just recently (which I understand is a soft spot in the Bird). I took the bike for a quick jaunt yesterday, and loved it. I have 2 questions;

- temperature gauge says the bike just great, in the 1/3 of the bike (rode 5000/6000 in six), but the frame at the knees seems really hot to me (not burining hot, but definetely hot). Normal? or maybe the bik's overheating and the gauge lies?

-I've heard the bike's real smooth because of twin counterbalancers, but I do detect a little vibration in the footpegs. Normal, or could the timing be off a little bit.

The third question concerns the overall bike. Is there anything I should focus on right way as far as maintenance? The bike has a jet kit and seems to run real good, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I tired pulling form a 40 MPH in six and the bike just took off without a shudder or hesitation, gears seems to shift just fine, I'm just not real smooth on the throttle yet. Also, there's som popping on the exhaust. (it's a little loud for my taste, so I'll try and see if a Yosh pipe would fit in the custom hearders, but I don't want to screw up the jetting too bad.)

I love the bike, I feel great that's its a Honda, and at 6'3 I've got plenty of room to move around.

Also, does anyone have a PDF file of the owner's manual? I don't even know how to release the trunk ofr adjust the mirrors (those are a little weirtd, but I love the daytime running bilnkers so that cagers have something to look at in their mirros, if they check tehm between 2 phone calls).

I'm in Florida, DeLand area, so if anyone knows a good mechanic please forward me a name.

Thanks a lot.

- temperature gauge says the bike just great, in the 1/3 of the bike (rode 5000/6000 in six), but the frame at the knees seems really hot to me (not burining hot, but definetely hot). Normal? or maybe the bik's overheating and the gauge lies?

-I've heard the bike's real smooth because of twin counterbalancers, but I do detect a little vibration in the footpegs. Normal, or could the timing be off a little bit.

Welcome, Rollie, and... Congratulations on purchasing the finest Sport Tourer on the planet!

You'll have to wait until someone with a '97 or '98 replies to question #3. As far as questions # 1 & 2:

1. Normal!

2. You may feel a slight high-freq. vibe at some RPM's but very minimal. For best results: Clean, lube & adjust your chain! :icon_thumbsup:

The release for the seat should be around the taillight. Since you've got an undertail kit on it, I can't say for sure where it is, but in stock form the seat release is a lock next to the taillight.

I've owned nothing but used bikes, when I get one I usually do a bunch of baseline type maintenance to it:

Oil/Filter change

Coolant flush and replace

Fork oil flush and replace

Check the valve gap

Change the air filter

Change the spark plugs

Add a 1/2 can of Sea Foam in a full tank

Check the tire pressure

Change the clutch fluid

Change the brake fluid

Install a PAIR kit

Clean/Inspect the chain, if a replacement is need I'd change the front sprocket as well. Many folks here prefer a 18 tooth front sprocket (OEM is 17T)

Inspect the brake pads

Inspect the brake rotors

Thanks, I did most of that except I did not change any fluids yet. I thought about flushing the cooling system and adding water wetter since I live in a hot state (Florida) and temps will soon be unbearable. I also checked the brakes (and boy do those work) and the guy I bought it from just turned the rotors (that's cool) and put in a new stator. I'm also thinking abbout replacing the Rectifier since it's known to fail, as a preemptive maintenance.

I'm not sure about the Sea Foam, I have no idea what that does. The carbs were just clean (smelled awful when he first started it, but now it's fine, and he changed the spark plugs as well and gaped them correctly (I doubled checked that).

I'm also not sure about the PAIR; is that the removal of the smog system? I think that's been done, and I also believe it to be the source of the popping (main pilots might need to be adjusted). If I'm wrong please let me know.

Thanks for the brainstorming, that really helps. This bike is way too nice for me but I'm freaking happy!!! I'll give it a good cleaning (a lot is polished on the bike, so that's gonna be fun) and post pics.

Firstly, I'm no tech, not even a shady lane one. I don't think the plugs are supposed to be "gaped". Replace and that's all. Others may beg to differ. Cheers

Why would the Bird be "way too nice" for you? I'm sure you deserve it.

I think you are correct... platinum and iridium spark plugs they recommend not to gap because you can rub off the coating of either metal

Welcome and congrats on the bird. Now that you have gone over the whole thing get out there and ride that baby:-)

"I also checked the brakes (and boy do those work) and the guy I bought it from just turned the rotors (that's cool) and put in a new stator."

Am I the only one who caught that??? Why did this guy " turn the rotors"??? I have never heard of that.

Turned the rotors might not be the best way to describe it. When I took the bike for a test ride, I felt a little something funky out front. Not bad, just a little vibration. When I came back, he took the front wheel off and checked the rotors to make sure they were not warped or disformed in any way. Came back fine. He then bled the brakes, I went back for a ride and everything was peachy, and still is. His guess was the bleeding got rid off an impurity in the brake lines or something was caught in one of the calipers. Your guess is as good as mine.

The pipe on the bike now is way too loud for my taste. I'd like a throaty sound but not overly loud, especially at higher RPM. Any recommendations? I have a Borla 4-2-1 system, so only one pipe to buy (seems the slip on connection is pretty standard, but I'll take measurements to make sure) and I like the Yosh RS3 but would like to hear from you guys.

I don't think you can actually effectively turn the rotors on the 'bird, so I'd go with the caliper being contaminated with something rather than the brake lines. I've noticed that the one time I had a line problem, the brakes just felt soft, nothing much more. It sounds from what you're describing that the bike may have sat for awhile. No big deal, but you may find more than one "little something" that needs to be attended to. I like the list above of things to do. Very sage list/advice. As far as the pipe goes, you change the slip on, you're going to want to make sure you adjust the jetting accordingly. Even the small change in the tail end will change your overall set up. The RS3 is great, it's all I've ever used on this bike. Nice sound, puts out a couple of more horse for you. Personally, I don't think the KN that everyone suggests to go with the 4-1 Yosh set up is worth it, but that's just me. A PDF for the manual would take some time to download, I think my manual is almost 500 pages. However, I think it's on this site somewhere. Poke around.

Welcome.

I don't even know how to release the trunk

If you have an under tail kit your seat lock may be removed. Most people rout the release mechanism cable to left (sitting on it) side of the bike in the rear cowl port under the seat. Stick your hand in there and feel around for it, just give it a tug while pulling up on the rear of the seat.

Yup, I found the cable, and the seat releases just fine. Thank you.

Welcome to the site and to being a Bird owner. If you ever come to Orlando, let me know and we can go out riding. Maybe I should head up you way, being you have a lot more back roads to get out and ride on.

Don't you just love how great the gang is here and how much help they can be, that is as long as you don't ask about hookers.

Yup, I found the cable, and the seat releases just fine. Thank you.

Welcome to the site and to being a Bird owner. If you ever come to Orlando, let me know and we can go out riding. Maybe I should head up you way, being you have a lot more back roads to get out and ride on.

Don't you just love how great the gang is here and how much help they can be, that is as long as you don't ask about hookers.

i have a 98 the heat is normal even more so on the black bikes just dont wear shorts when riding