CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake pad dragging on rim (UPDATE)

The Krypt Keeper

I got my new tires spooned on the other night and mounted my wheels onto my bike. While double checking my chain adjustment I look and see this shiney streak that covers about a 1/4 of the rear wheel hub circumference. I then noticed it runs directly under my caliper. :icon_confused:

I can feel a slight gouge mark where its rubbed. I look at my brake pads and they are seated nicely in the spacer/bracket, I go ahead and pull the wheel back off to get a closer inspection. Its not that bad but definetly not normal. I put everything back on and break out the flash light and when spinning the wheel you can see about 1/16th of an inch clearance difference move between the wheel and the bottom of the caliper and brake pads.

I never noticed this before, Also not really a place I check often either since its directly behind the rotor and mostly hidden from the caliper.

Anyone else ever seen this on their rear wheel?

No, never saw it, that's not good.

I've noticed that it's easy to put in the pads and they fell right, but the top isn't in the groove. you have to look with a flashlight from the other side to make sure.

Also make sure the caliper bracket is in it's slot in the swingarm.

The brake pad design on the front part is something I don't really care for to begin with. Wish it had a pin in it also like the back part of the caliper to keep them from flopping out like a fish every time you move it.

When I always put my rear wheel back on I slide the caliper and bracket over the rotor to get pads in place on the rotors, then pull the whole works back and get the bracket to slide onto the tab thats on the swing arm. Push everything forward to allow me to slip the chain on. Then I always check the pads to make sure the front tabs are seated in the retainer and put in the front 14mm bolt/pin. Sometimes its a pain, found out 4 yrs ago that putting a little dap of rubber cement keeps the retainer in place so it don't fall out when trying to make sure the front pad tabs are in the correct place.

Like I said in my first post it looks like when the wheel is spinning both the caliper and bottom of the pads are within a 1/16th of an inch from the hub. I tried wiggleing everything after I adjusted my chain and torqued down my axle nut and everything is solid. :icon_think:

I don't think a rock could have got in there and made this mark, but anything is possible.

Can anyone check on their clearance between the hub and bottom of the caliper?

Is it rubbing now, or can you just see a rub mark?

Did YOU put the rims on, or did the shop?

A cyclical rub would indicate that you have a wheel out of round, added to any other problems you might have at the moment with the brake caliper.

Its not rubbing right now Joe, I do all my own work except for spooning on tires, and I got a local guy with his own tire changer to do that for me and everything on his machine has nylon on it to prevent scratches.

I just noticed the rub after putting the wheels back on from getting the new tires mounted, so it happened before these tires. I just happen to spin the wheel after doing my chain adjustment and it caught my eye.

Mild steel will win that battle VS aluminum

I am also at a loss for what happened, maybe a rock could have gotten in there and made the mark. I know most the material on the eastern part of VA (east of I-95) is quartz based river rock so that will show no mercy.

Probably happened one day I rode to work since I work for a mining company and rocks are every where..

or now that I think of it a month ago when I was out riding and they just recently surface treated a 2 mile stretch of road which is nothing but tar sprayed out and a crap load of sand spread over top of it. I just remembered that cause we supplied the material.. :icon_rolleyes:

will try to update again after my computer at home took a crap ass soon as I hit reply button. :icon_wall:

Did almost 300 miles on Saturday playing in the twisty mountains, and no issues what so ever. Everything is still good, will avoid surface treated roads like the plague now...

They be bad :icon_nono: