CBR1100XX.org Forum

Water/Coolant coming from exhaust???

kjclark7

i just changed my coolant, following warchild's instructions. i drained the old and took a piece of hose and blew what i could out, then added distilled water. i ran it until 190 degrees then shut down. i let cool, then drained. i repeated until what i was draining was clear. i then added honda coolant, ran it, shut down and again drained. at that point i noticed a wet spot on the floor below the right side (throttle side) exhaust. not out of the end but the small hole on the bottom of the large diameter pipe. stupid me, i wiped the pipe clean without smelling the liquid. what would make either water or coolant come out of the exhaust? is this a problem?

kevin

i just changed my coolant, following warchild's instructions. i drained the old and took a piece of hose and blew what i could out, then added distilled water. i ran it until 190 degrees then shut down. i let cool, then drained. i repeated until what i was draining was clear. i then added Honda coolant, ran it, shut down and again drained. at that point i noticed a wet spot on the floor below the right side (throttle side) exhaust. not out of the end but the small hole on the bottom of the large diameter pipe. stupid me, i wiped the pipe clean without smelling the liquid. what would make either water or coolant come out of the exhaust? is this a problem?

Kevin

It may not be coolant it may just be condensation, I know when I had problems with my RR recently when I was running it at ~5000rpm to test the stator with my M/Meter there was a big cloud of moisture coming from my exhaust which had me worried for a few seconds then it went away and have not had a problem since so I just figured it was moisture build up :icon_confused:

Moisture is a by product of combustion. The small hole you described is intended to be a drain hole for the moisture that condenses inside the exhaust when it's cool. If the wet spot was small, I wouldn't worry about it and just say it's condensation draining. Keep an eye on it though.

Moisture is a by product of combustion. The small hole you described is intended to be a drain hole for the moisture that condenses inside the exhaust when it's cool. If the wet spot was small, I wouldn't worry about it and just say it's condensation draining. Keep an eye on it though.

the spot was approximately 3 to 4 inches in diameter. not sure if that constitutes small or not. just not sure why changing the coolant would make condensation in the exhaust. i wonder if blowing the coolant had anything to do with it?

Well a 3-4" puddle seems too large to be from condensation. Are you sure the water is coming from inside the exhaust? Perhaps water from the outside of the exhaust has trickled down to that low spot. Could water have accidentally been sprayed into the muffler?

Well a 3-4" puddle seems too large to be from condensation. Are you sure the water is coming from inside the exhaust? Perhaps water from the outside of the exhaust has trickled down to that low spot. Could water have accidentally been sprayed into the muffler?

i am pretty sure it was coming from inside the exhaust. it was all wet around the little hole before i wiped it. i first thought it made its way there but its not a low spot. if you look at the pipe, (the larger diameter section) the water would have to go uphill on the small diameter pipe to where the hole is. that shoots that theory.

Oak Ridge, NJ, is currently 48*F and 49% humidity. IMHO, assuming stock mufflers, if you just had it idling in fresh air, and the mufflers were still cool, I would think you could easily condense out that much moisture. It's not like it would blow it on out the muffler outlet, so it would run back down hill to the weep hole. Since most of the exhaust exits the right can, that's where most of the water would collect.

Oak Ridge, NJ, is currently 48*F and 49% humidity. IMHO, assuming stock mufflers, if you just had it idling in fresh air, and the mufflers were still cool, I would think you could easily condense out that much moisture. It's not like it would blow it on out the muffler outlet, so it would run back down hill to the weep hole. Since most of the exhaust exits the right can, that's where most of the water would collect.

I agree... The exhaust doesn't get very hot from idling, especially when it's cold outside, so it'll end up condensing a lot of water and draining it out that hole.

Mike

yesterday when i was working on the bike, it definately wasn't that cold but it wasn't hot out either. probably around 55-65 degrees. plus i never let the bike get hot hot. just got up to 190 degrees and shut it down. i don't think i am going to worry too much. i am going to get more coolant today, fill it up and just ride. if for some reason there is a problem with condensation, what are the things that i should look out for?

does anyone know how much coolant will go in the radiator and then over flow? the manual says 3.4 quarts total, just curious how much between the two.

Not sure how you could screw up something by flushing coolant. You would have to blow a head gasket or pump seal.

Just ride it. See what happens. Dont' be so anal!!

i just finished up before and when i started the bike and took notice of the exhaust, there was condensation coming out. its probably done it a million time prior but i just noticed now. thanks for the input anyways.