CBR1100XX.org Forum

Kickstand Question

MrBadExxample

I have a 97 XX with 50K miles on it, but it's still relatively new to me. Anyhow, for the bike to rest on the kickstand it leans over really far. Too far IMO. Honestly, it makes me uneasy whenever I rest the bike on the kickstand. Here's what I think are the causes:

1. Rear/Front spring preload (aka ride height). On the rear spring the adjusting collars are in the middle of the range. At the front, perhaps the forks are extended too far. When I rebuilt the forks with Racetech 1.0kg springs and valves, I cut the spacers so that the springs have to be compressed 20mm to screw the caps in. Reducing the front/rear preload should lower the bike, which in turn should reduce the lean angle to rest on the kickstand, correct? I'll check the front/rear SAG before making any adjustments.

2. Kick stand play. When the kick stand is extended (bike on centerstand) the end of the kickstand has about a 1/2" of side to side play. I know there will be some play. Is a 1/2" too much? I don't think the lug or kickstand are bent. Although the kickstand might have a very slight curve in it.

Penny for your thoughts? What else might cause too much lean for the bike to rest on the kickstand?

I have a 97 XX with 50K miles on it, but it's still relatively new to me. Anyhow, for the bike to rest on the kickstand it leans over really far. Too far IMO. Honestly, it makes me uneasy whenever I rest the bike on the kickstand. Here's what I think are the causes:

1. Rear/Front spring preload (aka ride height). On the rear spring the adjusting collars are in the middle of the range. At the front, perhaps the forks are extended too far. When I rebuilt the forks with Racetech 1.0kg springs and valves, I cut the spacers so that the springs have to be compressed 20mm to screw the caps in. Reducing the front/rear preload should lower the bike, which in turn should reduce the lean angle to rest on the kickstand, correct? I'll check the front/rear SAG before making any adjustments.

2. Kick stand play. When the kick stand is extended (bike on centerstand) the end of the kickstand has about a 1/2" of side to side play. I know there will be some play. Is a 1/2" too much? I don't think the lug or kickstand are bent. Although the kickstand might have a very slight curve in it.

Penny for your thoughts? What else might cause too much lean for the bike to rest on the kickstand?

OK, how about the bolt where the kickstand attaches to the bike? Is the hole rounded, or is the shoulder of the bolt where the KS rides worn out.....

I had one a few years back, same thing. I changed out the shouldered thru bolt and the KS tightened right up again.

Just my .02

Mine is stock, except for the 6 mm shim.

The shim makes mine lean much farther over. I always carry a kickstand support for soft sand. Works good on pavement too.

I can measure lean angle later if you need to compare.

Well I have a 98 XX and have been running ( stock worn forks as far as I know :icon_confused: ) a 6mm shim,900RR shock with Eibach 1100lb spring for ~9 months and she seemed to lean over an acceptable amount :icon_whistle: ( I actually thought the stock shock with sacked spring and no damping was too upright :icon_think: ). Yesterday I added another washer to bring the rear to ~8.25mm and while she does lean over more I don't think it is to a detrimental amount :icon_think: I will just have to be aware when I park it that I am not on a big slope to the left :icon_nono: although I doubt I will have a problem as I hardly ever use the sidestand anyway :icon_eh:

Are you sure it is the stock length sidestand? We lowered my fiancee's SV650s and had to cut and inch or so off the sidestand and welded a new foot on the bottom. But if we were to raise the bike back to stock height I'm sure it would be way too short. Maybe your bike was lowered at one time??

Used sidestands pop up on ebay all the time, if yours is bent or has been cut it should be an easy swap.

Since I'm too old and feeble to raise it onto the centre stand I alway place a block of wood under the kick stant to raise it more perpendicular. Also when I travel in case I'm on a softer surface, especially blacktop in the hot sun, something under the kick stand is necessary. Penske rear shock but I haven't notice it leaning more I've always place a piece of wood under the kick stand. My 2 cents.

You’re bike has been shimmed. The bike might be 3 cm higher than stock, and leans over because of that.

When I bought my 05 bike it is 3 cm higher than previous from the factory, and I almost shit my pants

first time I put it on the Kickstand. :icon_shocked:

The feeling of almost dropping the bike after it has 2 miles on the meter just sucks.

I made a plate 18 mm thick that I put under it when I park.

The rear shock is not shimmed, but does have a healthy amount of preload on the spring.

This morning I noticed the kickstand points forward a lot. Obviously it needs to point forward a few degrees, but the more it points forward the higher the end of the kickstand.

When I get home, I'll try to post some photos of the bike on its side stand.

I've removed my side stand in the past and with a rubber mallet and piece of wood hammered the gap closer between the "U" on the end till it just slips over the metal.

Thanks Pete, I'm considering doing the same thing. I was thinking I could heat the "U" on the top of the kickstand and give it a big squeeze in my vice.

Are you sure it is the stock length sidestand? We lowered my fiancee's SV650s and had to cut and inch or so off the sidestand and welded a new foot on the bottom. But if we were to raise the bike back to stock height I'm sure it would be way too short. Maybe your bike was lowered at one time??

The kickstand looks 100% stock, no signs of being cut or welded.

Right now, my best guess is that the rear spring is preloaded a little too much and the kickstand (and lug) are worn. Because of it's location, tiny bits of road debris can get between the kickstand and lug. It's easy for me to believe that 10 years of cycling the kickstand has removed some metal there.

I'll try to snag a cheap one off ebay.

On 600's I'll sometimes pivot them on the side stand to turn them around. Tired it on the XX and it bent the side stand.

Just an FYI - Dont do this.

I dont think your suspension is the problem but I agree with Pete 1/2" of play is too much.

Hate to state the obvious, but did you check to make sure those two bolts are torqued in well enough? It's not a HD but they will loosen up and even come out. Ask me how I know. lol

marty

Hate to state the obvious, but did you check to make sure those two bolts are torqued in well enough? It's not a HD but they will loosen up and even come out. Ask me how I know. lol

marty

What he said. And also check out the pivot bolt.

Here's a little tidbit for ya. If you ever start your Honda, put the kickstand up and it dies as soon as you put it in gear, check the pivot bolt.

• 1 month later...

I swapped on a used kickstand, supposedly off a bike with less than 10k miles.

The bike is much more upright when on the kickstand. Which gives me less anxiety when parking it.

On the old kickstand there was a noticeable, but not excessive, amount of wear at several key places - between the inside tines of the kickstand and the mounting bracket and at the point where the upper front of the kickstand stops against the mounting bracket. But the most noticeable wear was on the heel on the kickstand foot. Instead of being square, mine was considerably rounded, when compared to the other one. Also there was a very slight bend in the kickstand shaft.