CBR1100XX.org Forum

Damn, my dealer ordered in the wrong gasket

SBBXX

Just picked up the stator today and am ready to put the bike back together. I want it for tomorrow and rather not wait for the idiot to order me another. think this will work?

marty

Yes, you can use e.g RTV engine silicone. Make sure the surfacaces are perfectly clean and degreased, and apply a very thin layer only like 0.5 to 1 mm.

You'll end up seeing the blue. If you've noticed the clutch cover on my bike I did the same thing. It'll work though, keep it then, I agree.

Next time, when you have the proper gasket in hand, do what the racers do. Use a sealant/adhesive on the cover side of the gasket and a smear of grease on the engine case side. This way, you can remove and replace the cover numerous times without the need for a new gasket. On my old Suzuki powered race bike, we would pull the clutch cover after every run to adjust weights/replace plates. I usually would get 100 or more runs out of a gasket and never a leak.