CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help the mechanical moron make RedneXXt

Fonzie

OK........took the upper fairing & fender off the bike last month to have some cracks plastic welded before I have her resprayed. Picked them up tonight & started putting her back together in anticipation of going to Bowen's Bash next weekend.

Question arises from this........the piece the ram air screens are mounted to that fits under the headlights, and rests on the bottom of the fairing. There is a vertical plastic pop rivet/push pin on each side of the piece (right of tank, left of tank), faces front to back. WTF does that thing snap to........I can't find anything they mate up to???

Hopefully these pictures do a better job of explaining WTH I'm talking about. Pushpin/pop rivet is in dead center of last 2 pics.......don't know how to do the arrow thingy to point it out. 1st shot is from farther out to show you general vicinity, 2nd one closer up to show exactly what I'm talkin' about.

Also.......is the ram air duct supposed to just stop underneath where the upper & lower top covers come together, or was there something else running from there up to the screens at the bottom of the fairing??? It's only been a month, but I've apparently flushed my brain since then & can't remember shit :icon_rolleyes:

Anyways....... may not be able to see/reply to anything/anybody until Sunday afternoon/night. Thanx in advance!!

Oh yeah.......It's in my sig line, but.......she's a '98

post-2253-1177122292.jpg

post-2253-1177122312.jpg

post-2253-1177123662.jpg

Our carbed bikes are not ram air bikes.

The screened ducted work under our head light goes to the oil cooler, thats it. So from the look of your pics it appears the oil cooler duct work is not all the way snugged up to the nose fairing. Those pins look like they are on the oil cooler duct..right? If so they snap to the nose fairing all the way up front on either side of the head light opening. Hope that helps.

One more thing, you have to install the oil cooler air duct to the fairing before you mount the fairing to the bike.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/upp...amp;parent=5570

We don't have part #37 & #39 for FI bikes

Edited/ to add pics of one of the times mine has been apart.

post-145-1177197670.jpg

Thanx for takin' the time Jay! :icon_thumbsup:

Much as I was lookin' forward to it........not sure if I'll be makin' RedNeXXt after what happened today :icon_redface:

Hey Russ - after looking at your pic and the one of Jay's is it possible your top cowl has been replaced with a FI cowl :icon_confused: as Jay's definately looks to have lugs that those tabs with the push pins mount to :icon_confused: :icon_think:

Yep, it looks like you've got an FI cowl...

I have one too, on my '97... I just took a small angle bracket from lowes and riveted it to the rear center piece of the airflow director, and bolted the other side of the angle bracket through the bottom of the cowl (above the front fender) using an 8-32 screw... done.

Mike

Yep, it looks like you've got an FI cowl...

I have one too, on my '97... I just took a small angle bracket from lowes and riveted it to the rear center piece of the airflow director, and bolted the other side of the angle bracket through the bottom of the cowl (above the front fender) using an 8-32 screw... done.

Mike

I have in past used an FI fairing but all I did is use some tape to hold the air duct in place so it wouldn't move while installing the fairing. Once mounted it’s such a tight fit between the head light and fairing the duct can’t move around.

Joe/Josh.......thanx....appreciate the advice

So how do you guys think I ended up with an FI cowl?? Did some 'Birds come from the factory like that, or did one of the previous owners make the change???

Joe/Josh.......thanx....appreciate the advice

So how do you guys think I ended up with an FI cowl?? Did some 'Birds come from the factory like that, or did one of the previous owners make the change???

Seeing as your bike is a carbed one and they were made before the FI bikes I would have to say it didn't come from the factory and that the previous owner crashed the bike and replaced the cowl with a second hand one :icon_think: :icon_rolleyes:

'Nother question: the little brass colored bracket I've got leaning up against the mirror mount.......that's where that goes, right??? In other words......it goes between the mirror, and the side of the screen, right?? Not on the inside of the screen, right??

I'm 99.9% sure of this, but I just find it hard to believe there aren't more scratches against the screen part with that metal being there.

For some reason, I keep drawing a blank about where this stuff was when we tore her down :icon_rolleyes:

post-2253-1177818722.jpg

Just like you have in the pic is the way it bolts to the side of your bike.

just find it hard to believe there aren't more scratches against the screen part with that metal being there.

Same here, but thats how it bolts on.