CBR1100XX.org Forum

Synthetic oil and clutch basket noise.

Mekanix

I just changed my oil (47,500 miles) and this time the dealership didn't have synthetic for me. Pressed for a ride, I went to Checker Auto, that usually carries motorcycle oil too. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic motorcycle oil, 10W-40, which I think may be a little light, considering the miles and all. Anyhoo, the first thing I noticed is that the clutch basket noise, which I have had forever, is gone. I mean completely gone. Totally gone. Every time I start it. Already put ~600 miles on it since, no noise every time, no clutch slippage, nada.

Totally

That is all :icon_surprised:

what kind of synthetic were you useing?

The last one was Motul, cause I was at the dealership. I've tried a bunch of different ones, and pure synthetic most of its life. I usually end up getting whatever is at the dealership, unless they're out, then I go to a place like Auto Zone, but this time I was close to checker. I think I have also used Castrol Synthetic cycle oil too. This was the only one that made a change in the clutch basket sound.

I ran Mobile1 in my xx for years, I switched to Amsoil because I get dealer pricing, but, if I stopped using Amsoil I would use Mobile1 again in a heart beat

I was using Motul 1 Semi Synthetic for years and I switched to Honda GP4 Full Synthetic, my God what a difference. Shifts smoother, feels smoother and quieter. Never would have belived there was such a difference.

Brian