CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike cutting off when turning at slow speeds

hotdogpork

Just got the bird today, so I'm officially a blackbird owner. Took her out for a ride and discovered a problem with the bike. It's a 2001 model.

The engine will cut off whenever I try to make a slow speed right turn. It does not matter if I'm in first gear or second gear, or if the clutch lever

is depressed or not. But it only seems to happen at slow speeds. I suspect that this may be more because of the angle of turn of the bars rather than the speed. I'll try to verify this tomorrow.

I was making a U-turn and the engine sudenly cut off, resulting in me nearly dumping the bike along with my pillion. This happened a couple of times.

As I live in an apartment and have to park the bike in a multi-storey parking space, I ended up having to push the bike up as it will cut off whenever I made a right turn.

The owner did tell me about this problem, but he said that he had fixed it. Apparently not.

Any ideas on how I might go about troubleshooting it? I think I can reliably reproduce the problem, but I'm afraid I'll kill the battery from having to restart

the engine every time it cuts off.

Thanks!

+1 on the wiring problem, check the wires going into the kill switch, ignition switch and kickstand switch.

Where are you located? If you're near me, I'd be glad to help. I ask because the was a 2001 XX for sale near me recently, probably just coincidence.

First, find out how he fixed the problem. Then you can fix whatever he messed up.

Put the bike on the centerstand running. Turn the bars and see if it cuts out. If you can, repeat this procedure while watching what wiring assemblies move when you turn the bars. Once you have an idea, start the bike again and attempt to get it to stop by moving the wiring. You should be able to make it repeat. Once you've isolated the wiring bundle, it should be easy to find the broken wire/connection.

If the bars have been adjusted, look for cables that tighten severely when you turn the bars. This should be nothing other than an electrical glitch.

+1 on the wiring problem, check the wires going into the kill switch, ignition switch and kickstand switch.

Where are you located? If you're near me, I'd be glad to help. I ask because the was a 2001 XX for sale near me recently, probably just coincidence.

I suggest you run right over there and give him a hand.

Thanks, that's really generous of you. Unfortunately I live in Singapore.

rockmeupto125,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will do what you outlined step by step tomorrow and report back.

If anyone has anymore ideas in the meantime, pls don't be shy to post it.

That's not in Virginia is it?

Did the previous owner have any extra electronics wired into the bike? Perhaps something was put amiss during the install/removal process.

What Joe says is dead on.

See what the PO did if you can.

The electrical things I can think of are the kill and ignition switches, the kick stand switch, and the bank angle switch.

If you can't duplicate the problem on the stand, pull the plastic and look for wires with worn insulation. You can also jumper out the bank angle switch and kickstand switches.

If you haven't found it, there is a manual for that year bike in the important threads of the garage.

That's not in Virginia is it?

Did the previous owner have any extra electronics wired into the bike? Perhaps something was put amiss during the install/removal process.

Hi,

No that's not in Virginia unfortunately. :D

Just woke up, am going to troubleshoot the bike later.

I am not aware of any electronics wired into the bike, everything was totally stock. The only thing I am aware of is that he removed the Scottoiler.

Which brings me to another thing, he told me the Scottoiler required vacuum suction to operate, and one of the Scottoiler tubes was plugged into a

vacuum port somewhere on the bike. This port was a T-junction kinda thing at the fuel tank, and he just removed the Scottoiler tube without plugging it back.

Will it cause a problem?

Another idea came up, what if it were not an electrical problem, but the fuel was getting cut off? Or spark was getting cut off? Is there a way to easily eliminate these 2 possibilities?

Going to get a bite to eat, then go troubleshoot the bike, thanks everyone.

Well it's a 2001, which means there's not a vacuum actuated petcock. A fuel related problem only during right turns doesn't seem right. It's got to be electrical.

But, get the open vacuum line plugged. I can't remember, do FI birds still have a vacuum port under the #2 intake?

Ok thanks to all your help I think I've located the problem.

I started up the bike, it idled fine. There is this sheath of wires going into the ignition switch barrel so I gave it a light tug, and the bike immediately died.

Just to make doubly sure, I started her up again, let her idle for 3 mins, everything ok. Then I gave it a light tug again, bike died.

How hard will it be to disassemble to switch and solder the contacts back? I read through the service manual and think I can handle removing the handlebars,

but how do you remove the key barrel from the yoke?

Thanks again folks!

How hard will it be to disassemble to switch and solder the contacts back? I read through the service manual and think I can handle removing the handlebars,

but how do you remove the key barrel from the yoke?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Ignition Switch Disassembly

Everyone,

Thank you so much for your help.

There were 2 problems on my bike that caused the engine cutting off.

One of the wires behind the ignition switch was corroded (the part which was soldered onto the barrel). Mechanic fixed this

and tested the bike by turning the handlebars left and right vigourously. Engine cut off again.

Happened that there was another problem, the immobilizer wire had broken off inside it's insulation. After that was fixed, bike was ok.

Thank you all so much for coming through for me, really appreciate it.