CBR1100XX.org Forum

Galfer pads

seeten1

My bike is a 99 and now has 13K orig pads, figured it was time to replace. pulled them tonight and the fronts are 1/4"-3/8" deep and all 4 pads have perfectly even wear. Even with 13K they are twice as thick as the new Galfer balck pads i bought for the front, and about the same thickness as the new Galfer pads for the rear. I was reading another thread about brakes (EBC HH i think) and it stated that all three sets of pads were the same. The Galfer is different for the front FD205G1054 and the rear FD207G1054, they look the same but the set from the rear has a much thicker pad. Do i have the correct parts for the bird? Could you use the thicker FD207 on the front?

Steve

I just put in EBC HHs front and rear. I thought (was being very careful for me) I compressed the caliper pistions the same (while old oem pads still in) for both front and rear. When installing the new pads, the rear definitely had more room to slip the new pads in. Boths fronts were very, very close (almost to the point i almost said 'o shit' as i'm pushing them in w resistence) and both fronts had the same snug fit which tells me i had the pistons consistently compressed. If the Galfer rear is thicker than EBC HH, it could be interesting (assuming i compressed pistons properly) using thicker pad on front. FYI, My rear was shot and the fronts still had well over half their life left after 16k on oems.

i did ebc hh front and rear. interesting that you mention the fronts are less pad as i DID notice them harder to get in, until i took the cover off the master cylinder and pushed the pistons in - PIECE 'O CAKE after that ;o)

just watch to make sure the brake fluid doesn't raise back up and over the edges of the master and spill all over your bike!

I'm fixing to order some Galfer greens for the front and black for the back. I think this would bias the brakes more to the front. Anyone done this before and are you satisfied with the results? Any drawbacks? I know the greens are a little mushy in the rain, but the only time I ride in the rain is when I get caught out in a popup storm.