CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rectifier/charging system fix

cabinfever

Ok, so I recently acquired a '99 VFR from a local guy. He was a member of the VFRDiscussions board and has a post over there about his work on the charging system on his (now mine) VFR. I know the 3 Honda bikes I have most experience with... VFR, VTR, XX... all seem to have similar rectifier and charging issues.

Just thought I would bring this up to you guys... click the link for his "fix"....

Beef up the wires!

He only ran the bike like this for about a month before I got a hold of it, so it isn't known if this is a true long term fix. It does take care of the voltage fluctuations though.

Ok, so I recently acquired a '99 VFR from a local guy. He was a member of the VFRDiscussions board and has a post over there about his work on the charging system on his (now mine) VFR. I know the 3 Honda bikes I have most experience with... VFR, VTR, XX... all seem to have similar rectifier and charging issues.

Just thought I would bring this up to you guys... click the link for his "fix"....

Beef up the wires!

He only ran the bike like this for about a month before I got a hold of it, so it isn't known if this is a true long term fix. It does take care of the voltage fluctuations though.

Nothing wrong with bigger wires, but that guy has no idea what was wrong before. Therefore his "fix" is unknown.

I think it is likely that the process of cleaning all the connections made it work correctly. Bigger wires will not hurt, but cutting up insulation for no good reason is stupid.

I do support the idea of thermal grease on the R/R though.