CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch fluid replacement and bleed

XX

k, so last weekend i tried to learn how to bleed the brakes by starting with the rear sequence.

today, i dranined then refilled and bled the clutch line - only took me 2 hours vs the 4 hours i spent last weekend.

so, i suck, but i'm getting better, and here's a hint for first time bleeders, follow the Haynes manual method of pumping the handle/pedal, holding, opening bleed valve, closing bleed valve and releasing handle....

btw, i literally hooked up the mityvac to the bleed valve, pumped up the vacuum, opened the valve a little and bled air for 1.5 hours, 1 bubble at a time....

i'm really thinking of taking you guys' advice next weekend when i do my fronts and just 'cycle' the new fluid thru....

today, i dranined then refilled and bled the clutch line - only took me 2 hours vs the 4 hours i spent last weekend.

i'm really thinking of taking you guys' advice next weekend when i do my fronts and just 'cycle' the new fluid thru....

I've done the clutch in 15 minutes, just drain the reservoir with a syringe, top up with new then pump it through until clean comes out the bleed nipple. You're leaving some of the old stuff in the system by draining it as you never get it all out and then are just mixing it with the new, when you feed new in from the reservoir it pushes all the old out in front of it.

It is much easier to never (on purpose) introduce air in the system. I just pump the old fluid through till reservoir is almost dry, hold lever in applied position (zip tie) clean rest of old out with a clean rag then fill with fresh fluid and pump till clean fluid is at my clear tube.